Children pools on ships

Another vote for a seperate area for a swim diapers! (Although, I'm hoping it's a splash zone!)

Here's a little biology lesson for those who are interested and/or misinformed. ;) (Really, I mean no sarcasm here! It's the teacher in me! :D)

In a HEALTHY individual, urine is sterile and should not make other healthy individuals ill. However, it is possible to pass germs through urine (eg hepatitis).

Also, (an "ick" factor is coming!) there are millions of E. coli in pools (FYI the E. coli that makes the news is a different strain than what is found naturally in our bodies). The average person 0.14 grams of fecal matter on their bottoms that is easily rinsed off in the pool. The danger of this is when someone is ill and passes their germs to everyone else who swims in the contaminated water. From the CDC's website:

"The most common illness spread through use of swimming pools is diarrhea. If swimmers are ill with diarrhea, the germs that they carry can contaminate the water if they have an "accident" in the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. When people are ill with diarrhea, their stool can contain millions of germs. Therefore, swimming when ill with diarrhea can easily contaminate large pools or waterparks. As a result, if someone swallows water that has been contaminated with feces, he/she may become sick. Many of these diarrhea-causing germs do not have to be swallowed in large amounts to cause illness."

Hopefully we can be considerate and NOT swim in pools when we are ill. As for me, I'll swim in a public pool, but you won't find me drinking the water!

In the H20 zone area for children, do they need to be potty trained or can they go in a swim diaper? Seems pointless to go if kids cant go in the pool!

no. it's perfectly sanitary and ok for them to crap in da pool. thanks.:D

Another vote for a seperate area for a swim diapers! (Although, I'm hoping it's a splash zone!)

Here's a little biology lesson for those who are interested and/or misinformed. ;) (Really, I mean no sarcasm here! It's the teacher in me! :D)

In a HEALTHY individual, urine is sterile and should not make other healthy individuals ill. However, it is possible to pass germs through urine (eg hepatitis).

Also, (an "ick" factor is coming!) there are millions of E. coli in pools (FYI the E. coli that makes the news is a different strain than what is found naturally in our bodies). The average person 0.14 grams of fecal matter on their bottoms that is easily rinsed off in the pool. The danger of this is when someone is ill and passes their germs to everyone else who swims in the contaminated water. From the CDC's website:

"The most common illness spread through use of swimming pools is diarrhea. If swimmers are ill with diarrhea, the germs that they carry can contaminate the water if they have an "accident" in the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water. When people are ill with diarrhea, their stool can contain millions of germs. Therefore, swimming when ill with diarrhea can easily contaminate large pools or waterparks. As a result, if someone swallows water that has been contaminated with feces, he/she may become sick. Many of these diarrhea-causing germs do not have to be swallowed in large amounts to cause illness."

Hopefully we can be considerate and NOT swim in pools when we are ill. As for me, I'll swim in a public pool, but you won't find me drinking the water!

I apologize, I mis-spoke (sanitary vs. sterile) before.

Thank you for this bit of wisdom, Michele.

I agree, though it's difficult to get this point accross to kids. Sometimes they accidentally swallow the water without even realizing it.

Archived