NCL Kid's club question

iluvcruzn

Hello Everyone,

We are planning on taking our four nieces and nephews on a cruise this coming January. We do not have kids, so I'm really not that familiar with the kid's club/teen programs on NCL. When we cruise, they will be 17,14,13, and 11. Our major concern is that the 11 year old will not be able to access the teen club, and may feel left out. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what activities there are for 11 year olds on NCL? We just want to make sure that everyone has a memorable and enjoyable vacation. Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

We just returned from a trip on the NCL Dawn and the kids had a great time. My children are 9 and 11 and we were traveling with a family with a 13 year old. My 9 year old loved the kids program. My 11 year old spent most of her time with the 13 year old. There were lots of activities in the kids program for the 11 year old and when she went she had fun. I never say anyone at the teen club. There were only 200 kids on the boat when we went. Most of them were seen at night hanging our around the pool the Blue lagoon or in the Garden Cafe. There is plenty to do on the boat without attending the kids program. We found it was very safe for them to wander the boat unattended. We just told them when and where to meet us. We also took walkie talkies to keep track of everyone. I would encourage all of them to attend the programs and see if they are enjoyable. We had a great cruise and would travel with NCL again.

We returned from NCL Sun a few weeks ago and found the tween and teen program very weak. We have sailed 4 different RCCL ships in the past and even the worst experience was 10 times better than NCL. The Sun was much more like a babysitting program. It was no surprise that few teens wanted to participate. The "teen" age is a hard group to please. I think RCCL does a vastly better job. I know that people seem to have a favorite cruiseline and seem to bash everything else. We love to cruise and do not see the "huge" differences between cruiselines...with the exception of trying to please kids in that 11-17 age group.

We were on NCL Dream in February with two 16 y.o.'s and an 8 y.o. The 8 y.o. said that she thought the kids' program was better than on RCCL Explorer.

The teenagers wouldn't do the teen program which seemed to be mostly 13-15 y.o.'s but those kids looked like they were having a blast. Our 16 y.o.'s did what they wanted during the day and we had dinner together. They made friends to go to the shows with, have lunch with, etc. I think no matter what the ship had put on, they would have preferred to be off by themselves because how often do they get to do that? I can't see how I could blame the cruiseline for this- they provided many activities and tried to get them to participate. Everyone had fun so that's what counts.

Barb

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really appreciate it. What did your kids do in the evenings? This is the first time we're taking the nieces and nephews with us, usually just the two of us, so I'm a little worried about evening activities. Thanks again for all of your great advice!

We were just on the 9 day Pearl March 16th. Our 7 year old loved the kids's club, however, our 13 year old said that the teen club was non existant. He met up with a group of teens ranging in age from 13-17, and they seemed to just hang around in the evenings. The Kid's Club was always using the Teen's area for younger groups of kids, so the teens had nowhere to go. We have been on RCL & Princess and their teen programs are by far superior, especially in the evenings when the kids need something to do.

We loved NCL, but the lack of Teen program organization was disappointing.

Our 8 y.o. went to the Kids' Crew after dinner (7:00) until it closed at 10:00. They played games, took them to appropriate shows, etc. The boys (16 y.o.'s) met up with their cruise friends and went to the shows and hung around and ate and ordered endless Cokes and smoothies.

Barb

Archived