What to bring for cave-tubing?

2Xtraveler

Hi, we booked with cave-tubing.com for a tour, and I was just wondering what to bring. I know about swim socks and bathing suit. What about hat or bug spray? Do we leave everything on a bus? Or should I bring a bag?

Any suggestions?:D

We brought a change of clothes and shoes and left it on the bus. ( we also left our $$ and wallets and felt very secure in doing so... remember that their reputation is at stake ) No need for sunglasses while tubing.....most of it is dark in the caves! We did spray some bug repellent with 40% deet and were not bitten at all.

We also brought a waterproof disposable camera and good water shoes with treads for the hike. Some spots can be slippery so you need some traction from your shoes.

We wore bathing suits, old shorts and our water shoes. We changed after the hike in clean bathrooms and went to lunch. It was a great time. You'll love cavetubing.com.

BUTTS UP!

I also wore a swimsuit with old tee shirt and shorts over it. I worn old sneakers. I suggest bringing a waterproof flashlight - the miner style lights are not strong enough. I did take a waterproof camera. We took a change of clothes for afterwards. I had intended to just throw away the old sneakers but, the bus driver/tour guide asked if he could have them. I guess they go through a lot of sneakers doing this. I also took one of those waterproof cases they sell onboard ship that hangs around your neck. In it I kept my ID and the cash I took for shopping afterwards. I did not use any bug spray and saw no bugs at all.

Not much...as stated above...swimsuit & water shoes. The more clothing you wear the more chilled you will be. Bring dry shorts, t-shirt & sandals to put on afterwards. Don't take much $$$ or credit cards, because they will strongly discourage you from taking it with you...so they want you to leave any valuables on the bus. They will supply headlamp. You will not need hat, unless you're a hat person, but you're mostly in the caves. No need for bug spray. Be prepared to hike a couple miles carrying a tube. This is a low maintenance excursion....less is best.

Hi, we booked with cave-tubing.com for a tour, and I was just wondering what to bring. I know about swim socks and bathing suit. What about hat or bug spray? Do we leave everything on a bus? Or should I bring a bag?

Any suggestions?:D

Not sure about CaveTubing.com, but the cave tubing we did from the NCL on-ship booking lacked one important thing, drinking water. We had water with us but were told no bottles and such allowed on the trail.

We didn't think anything of it, but sure could have USED some during the 45 min+ march to the drop in point. We had holders for our water bottels so litter would not have been a concern with those. And tere is NO water available past the changing rooms and it was a HIKE out there. Depending on where the bus drops you at the entrance. That first hill before the

changing rooms should be called "Examination Hill" because if that one kills you then you better stay with the bus. :D

Depending on when you go, bug spray is not needed. We didn't even use sunblock as you are in the jungle on the walk in and it is shady most of the way. In the cave you don't need sunblock as the sun isn't gonna get you thru the mountian. Your stuff with either stay in the bus, or more likely in a locked room by the changing rooms.

Except for flightseeing in Kauai (

) was my favorite shore excursion to date, but Cave Tubing in Belize ranked a VERY close second.

You will have a BLAST for sure. Enjoy it and be sure to take a waterproof camera or waterproof bag for your digital camera/camcorder.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot wait till our day in Belize, we've scheduled the cave-tubing with Major Tom and he's incredibly helpful and funny, I too asked what do we bring along and this was his reply, hope you get a kick out of it

TWENTY ONE GREAT (some funny, we hope) IDEAS FOR OUR GUESTS :

1. Bring along a complete change of clothes, towel and footwear. You’ll wet the first set, for goodness sakes. You are in a river. You know – WATER

2. Bring along water shoes or secure sandals and a waterproof camera with flash.

3. You can cave tube with bath suits, or shorts/shirt/blouse, and a hat if you wish, but please wear something – the police frown on nude persons. Or just ogle mostly.

4. If you must wear prescription glasses or sunshades, ensure they are secured on your head. We sell you small pieces of string for $7,200 US dollars. Besides all the fish in the river are tired of wearing glasses and sunshades. Makes them look silly.]

]5. If you take professional camera equipment, bring along a "dry bag". Please don’t burst into tears if you drop your camera into the river. We’ll dive it up later and keep it. Chinese auction anyone?? Make sure it’s new and has fresh batteries

6. Bring fly repellant and sun block - not always needed, but best to have. If you have golden brown skin like me, and are handsome as well, (I am Maya Yucatec), you won’t need anything. Well, almost – I ALWAYS need something. Greedy

7. No need for snorkeling equipment, although some guests like taking a snorkeling mask just to have fun with at the cave's entrance and downriver in the open. Nice, but small, fish life and beautiful bottom scenery. No fishing, please. And NO, we DO NOT HAVE the Loch Ness monster – the Russians took it !! Probably ate it.

8. For small children, some guests like to bring along their own personal, form fitting life vests - these are welcome, but we do also have as well. Or just blow up a nice large balloon and hand it to them – the little darlings will float beautifully with those, until they pop. No giggling, please. Some of those kids punch hard. Or Mom or Dad will knock your lights out. Lots of nice, handy, large river granite rocks.

9. Video cameras (with flash) - yes, but use a dry bag. Didn’t I say that up top?

10. If you cannot swim, indicate this - we ensure we have extra safety staff. We take and continue to take, swimmers as well as non-swimmers. Swallowing water is strictly forbidden. Does not taste good anyway. Swallowing Belize’s top beer, Belikin Beer – now that works. Or Lighthouse Lager, or Brown Stout. Or Cashew Wine !!!

11. Handicapped, but can walk, please indicate, and we will apply extra staff. We are delighted to take our valued handicapped guests and apply all factors to ensure their happiness and total safety.

12. If you have your personal lighting gear, you can bring it along, but we do have as well. If you bring one, we’ll buy it off you!!! Pay you in US cash or Russian rubles!!! Or a promissory note. Written on tree bark from our poisonwood tree.

13. All that is not taken on the actual rainforest trail and cave float is left locked and secured in the van, with guards. There are security wardens and police at the park.

14. Jewelry and cash can be left with security staff, and fully accounted for. Our advice - leave jewelry on the ship, where it is usually properly secured. Our lunatic guards carry 105 mm Howitzer anti tank cannons – they will fire at anyone who walks within 60 feet of the locked vehicles. Kidding? They shoot at birds if they fly too close. Now that’s guarding taken seriously. Losses so far – NIL. Hah!!!

15. Referrals - guests often bring others with them from onboard - we accept those last minute additions, as we have extra staff and vehicles – COME ON DOWN !!!

16. At tour's end, when we take you back to the dock in good time to shop and then take your tender back on board, ensure you have all your belongings with you.

17. The park has a large bathroom system complete with washbasins, showers, and changing rooms. Bring your own soap, please. Don’t use the park astringents!!!!! They’ll take off your skin and make you look like a peeled Belizean banana.

18. Vans have first aid kits for your comfort. Including toothpicks if you forgot to brush your teeth that morning. If that’s the case, try not to smile widely.

19. Any special questions you may have, please do not hesitate to ask in your "comments" section of the reservation form. No extra charge!!! We’ll just introduce you to a special rainforest tree that moves when you go near it. Lots of fun.

20. The cave tubing park has several gift shops with a wide variety of handicraft items, at good competitive prices - and they will gladly bargain!! You won’t win, but it is lots of fun arguing!!! In fact you’ll probably take a thrashing.

21. Lunch can be purchased (if required) at a roadside restaurant (either "CHEERS, with a Tropical Twist" or “AMIGOS”. (Both providing excellent Belizean cuisine), especially the famous “rice and beans and stewed chicken” – drool, drool, slurp. Cole slaw. Habanero pepper (yoicks!!). Cold beers, soft drinks, juices. Watch that Habanero Pepper – makes long hairs grow suddenly out of your nose!! Or causes severe snorting and red faces and sweat pouring down on to your table, and into your food and the food of the guy next to you. Woh Ho Ho, NELLIE !!!

I love the above post!

As for what you need, and what we took:

We wore swimsuits. I also wore a t-shirt and shorts over mine; I wouldn't again, they got too wet and heavy. Most people just wore their suits on the hike and tubing.

I wore tevas; any kind of water shoes or old sneakers will do. They also rent water shoes at the site. I didn't bring extra shoes because the tevas work fine afterwards; other shoes might not.

We didn't need sunglasses, hats or insect spray. The walk and river is mostly shady. I'd still bring insect spray just in case--probably depends on the time of year and kind of weather.

We changed into dry clothes back at the entrance. The locker rooms are fine. I'd dried enough that I didn't use a towel.

We left jour spare clothes and valuables on the bus. Only carried a disposable underwater camera. However, the photos did not turn out very good in the caves.

They had life jackets available if you wanted them. If I was taking young kids I'd bring small life jackets for them. I'm not sure if they have kid's life jackets, but I'd guess they do.

I thought the hike was pretty easy. It had some rough/slippery spots. I'm 61 but am in good shape, do a lot of walking and have no mobility issues.

Have fun! It was a great excursion. You'll be glad you're not on a ship tour.

Archived