Seasickness

stretts

I have read all about the diffeent types of seasickness tablets. Have bought Kwells and Phenergan. When would be the best time to take one? for the just in case factor. If one of my kids (teenagers) got seasick they would never let me forget it.

Anyone help me out..

Thanks sue

We took our Kwells about 2 hours before sailing and after leaving our last port and heading back to Sydney because we knew it would be rough.

They are to prevent the sickness, but once you start feeling queasy, they are useless, so dont take them.

So prevention is the key. You will find that you will only need the protection for the first 2 days leaving Aust and the last 2 days coming back as the sailing between the islands is usually smooth and a lot slower [or so it seems, correct me if I am wrong anyone]. This was our experience.

We copped terrible weather, even the captain said it was pretty bad - so bad that they had to close the port of Sydney half an hour after we left, that's how bad it was. The captain said we were lucky to get out at all! :eek:

Take two packs with you (for two people) as we took one pack and finished it within two or three days and then had to buy another pack on the way home from Noumea as it got rough again. The Kwells was reasonably priced in the onboard shop, but best to take your own just in case.

Hope this helps. :)

i would personally recommend phenergan. the ship doctor will advise you to take 10mgs before sailing and 25mgs before bed! 10mgs are fine for children 6 and over. 25mgs should be ok for a teenager depending on how big they are. 25mgs can make you drowsy though but thats much better then being sea sick trust me!!

Kwells make you drowsy also, which was a bit of a killer if we were sitting down, being idle... if you're active you dont feel it as much. I dont know if it was the Kwells or the sway of the sea, but I slept like a baby after taking them! :D

Definitely take your own sea-sickness tablets. On our cruise the shop ran out of Kwells on Day 2 as it was so rough and a lot of people were feeling the effects of the motion. They didn't restock for the rest of the cruise, so if you needed more you had to pay to go the doctor and get their prescription medicine. I took Travacalm Original which has a bit of caffeine added to help you stop getting drowsy. They were very effective.

Kwells make you drowsy also

Not if you load up on coke a little while after taking them.

I was kind of stupid as far as prevention goes, i should have taken some just before we left cairns for the 2day sail home. but i didnt and i paid the price of being sick and mostly cabin bound for those 2 days.

I didnt realize "that" many people got seasick:eek: I have never been on a cruise ship b4 but have been seasick plenty of times on smaller boats,I was under the impression cruise ships had stabilization,I cant imagine being seasick for days on end.I believe your brain has a good memory for seasickness,the instant you think about it when on board "yourve got it":eek: If you know you get it,would it be best to get an injection b4 the start of the cruise?

Den

Virgin cruise Pacific sun N714 30th April 2007 and starting to sway already:eek:

I have the worst sealegs in the business... lol... and have just bought my stash of Travacalm Original for the next cruise which is in two weeks ..... wouldn't go onboard without them.. I take the correct dose for the first day or so then adjust according to how i feel and how the weather is....My husband who has just retired from the cruise circuit has been seasick once in countless cruises...lucky boy ..... cheers shiona

I didnt realize "that" many people got seasick:eek: I have never been on a cruise ship b4 but have been seasick plenty of times on smaller boats,I was under the impression cruise ships had stabilization,I cant imagine being seasick for days on end.I believe your brain has a good memory for seasickness,the instant you think about it when on board "yourve got it":eek: If you know you get it,would it be best to get an injection b4 the start of the cruise?

Den

Virgin cruise Pacific sun N714 30th April 2007 and starting to sway already:eek:

No, don't get an injection before the cruise! The doctor would probably refuse to give it to you anyway... Just take some prescription medication that you've bought before the cruise and you should be fine.

After paying the price my first cruise,wasn't sick on cruise i got the after cruise swaying for months, I looked into it and found the best for me was to take 1 phenegan at 6pm the night before the cruise and same time nightly after,when i was dressing for dinner. I never had a bit of trouble,i continued for a week after the cruise to get my landlegs right. Grandson (8) took half a tablet.

My teenage son took Kwells at the recommended time before we left on our very early morning flight to Brisbane. He began feeling ill on the flight & steadily went down hill from there. As he had only had a drink of Milo before we left home in the morning...(he did have breaky on the plane)....we would recommend eating before you take Kwells, (nothing mentioned on the packet)as he truely believes he would have been ok if he'd had breaky at 4.30am.:eek: & then a tablet.

Cheers

I have the worst sealegs in the business... lol... and have just bought my stash of Travacalm Original for the next cruise which is in two weeks ..... wouldn't go onboard without them.. I take the correct dose for the first day or so then adjust according to how i feel and how the weather is....My husband who has just retired from the cruise circuit has been seasick once in countless cruises...lucky boy ..... cheers shiona

We are going on our first cruise in Sept and I'm very nervous about sea sickness. Hubby never has a problem with it. I would hate to spend a week in the cabin wishing the hours away ! I am reassured that even though you say that you "...have the worst sealegs..." you keep going on cruises ! Is it like childbirth....you forget the pain or have you really found the right approach for you. I'm already stocking up on Kwells, Phenergan and Travacalm....saving up for the onboard injection too !!

I think one of the reasons i have handled seasickness so well is i had savage morning sickness right through both my pregnancies....lol... You have the right idea as far as taking meds with you.. better safe than sorry...... and who knows you may not even need them. I haven't had to have the jab yet but if needed i wouldn't hesitate..

You are going to have a fabulous trip so let nothing spoil it for you both

cheers shiona

I have had the jab before at home not on a cruise, I ha dbeen vomiting for 9 hours straight and was ready to die, thought that NOTHING could work & believe it or not it DID!! I went to sleep, woke up and still felt a bit queasy but was fully functional and could go out and do things. My advice would definitely be to get the jab if you need it, it's worth the pain of the prick :D

I am also terrible. Most cruises I am sick. I find that Qwells or Dramamine work for me but as previous posters have said you have to take the Qwells before you start feeling sick. The only thing I find is they make your mouth really dry. The only cruise I haven't felt sick on was on the Superstar Gemini up through the Straits of Malacca last year - its all calm water - it was fantastic. The ship didn't sway at all. We are going up the Inside Passage in Canada in a couple of weeks and its supposed to be pretty calm as well but I take the tablets with me just in case :D:D I keep cruising because its still the best way to see the world without having to keep packing and unpacking.!!! Mummsie :D

Archived