Portage Glacier

sandiego1

I've read several posts about some hikes around the Portage Glacier and I'm a little confused. We end our cruise in Whittier and will likely rent a car (have 1 reserved, but may take a shuttle to our Anchorage hotel). We are considering a PWS boat trip in the afternoon on disembarkation day.

Is the entrance to the Portage Glacier on the Whittier side of the tunnel? Or do you need to go through the tunnel to do the hikes? We don't want to go through the tunnel to see the glacier, then back again to Whittier for the PWS boat trip.

It is a short hike, but you can get to the overlook to see Portage Glacier. There's an old road up the Whittier side of Portage Pass. You will have to go through the tunnel, if you want to ride the boat that goes up to the glacier. Yukon has the right spot for getting to the hiking trail.

Here's a link to a pic., Portage Glacier is at the top of the pic. Too bad the pic. isn't bigger.

http://www.ci.whittier.ak.us/about.html

You have to go through the tunnel to get to Portage. There is, however, great hiking at Portage -in particular the trail that goes through a low pass to Portage Lake, with a great view of Portage Glacier. http://www.alaskaguidebook.com/DGB/SearchFrame.asp?ParentID=5000406&Page=DetailActivity

Yukon - if I'm already in Whittier, do I need to go through the tunnel to get to the trail? I found this on the web site you recommended:

The trail is a moderate three-mile hike leading to Portage Lake. The trailhead is marked with a sign, and begins in Whittier south of the railroad tunnel terminal, across from the tank farm and airstrip. The trail climbs steeply up to the top of the pass, then you follow the trail to Divide Lake halfway to Portage Lake. At this point you can follow the dried-up creek bed or the bank of the waterfall. The trail is not well-maintained after the pass. The pass is always very windy, so bring a good wind jacket to protect against the gusts.

It seems to contradict your statement about having to go through the tunnel from Whittier.

DOH - that was a typo - what I meant to say was "You have to go through the tunnel to get to Portage. There is, however, great hiking at Whittier -in particular the trail that goes through a low pass to Portage Lake, with a great view of Portage Glacier" :D

• 1 month later...

If you are considering a PWS cruise in the afternoon, this hike from Whittier would be excellent in the morning. I am considering doing it in July on my way back from Seward to Anchorage (we have lots of time that day).

I thought you could take some little boat across Portage Lake near the visitor center to go view Portage glacier. Is this true? Can't take my father on that hike so wanted to take the boat.

please advise. thanks

Archived