More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

We've taken some drinks on every cruise, including when we had the OS and free sodas, but we put them inside the luggage rather than being brash about it. It easily fits in a small roller along with some toiletries or shoes. We don't drink Coke, Dt. Coke, or Sprite, so we take a little of our faves to get through the week. When I get a migraine, a Dr. Pepper is part of my survival kit. I'm not going to have to choke down a vile tasting Coke to get the pain relief from caffeine. If the lines offered sodas we liked, we'd get the card, but I'm not paying $20 for drinks I flat-out don't drink at home. Taking a bit of soda also assures that you'll have extra room in your bags for souvies at the end. I think if you're discreat, it's not going to be a problem to take some water or soda. Discretion does not include rolling coolers or exposed cases, however.

• 3 months later...

I am preparing for my first cruise on Ecstasy this Fall. I have been reviewing the threads and posts realting to bringing my own soft drinks on board. This thread refers to new rules that severely restrict this practice. A later thread, entitled: Quantity of Soda/water Brought On Board-Limited???; seems to indicate that it is still allright to bring on board your own soft drinks.

I think that I am missing or mis-understand something.

Does someone have information from Carnival about this?

I am preparing for my first cruise on Ecstasy this Fall. I have been reviewing the threads and posts realting to bringing my own soft drinks on board. This thread refers to new rules that severely restrict this practice. A later thread, entitled: Quantity of Soda/water Brought On Board-Limited???; seems to indicate that it is still allright to bring on board your own soft drinks.

Carnival backed down almost as fast as they put this in place.

We just got off the Fantasy last week and took 2~ 12 packs (one diet and one regular) with no problem. (just like we have done on every cruise.

We carried them on and yes, the security guard did check to make sure it was soda and not beer....so don't let that throw you!!

Have a great cruise!

That rule was put into place to detour the spring break cruisers for bringing to much soda & Alcohol onboard, after spring was over carnival relaxed abit, you can carry on a reasonible amount of soda, water and 2 bottles of wine or champagne with no problem.

On our cruise 1 week ago' date=' because of the new policy, we brought on board 2 empty water bottles per person. When we got on the ship, we filled up the bottles with water from the lido deck and refrigerated them. When we wanted a drink, we would either drink the cold bottled water or we would add a little tube of Crystal Light and made lemon aid or rasberry tea. It was very good. :o[/quote']

No need for anyone to get upset - just follow this poster's suggestion and everyone can be happy!

Here is the current policy. Copy and pasted from Carnival's site...

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

I don't have a problem with them enforcing the rules which have been in place for years. I DO have a problem with them mixing weak drinks like we had on the Glory recently. They were measuring the booze like it was liquid gold and charging what I thought was a premium price.

While I have enjoyed the ability to bring our own sodas and booze on previous sailings without any problem, I worry about future cruises where a weak drink for an inflated price is all that is available.

I suppose my next quest will be to find ways to bring booze bought in ports back on the ship without detection. I am thinking that Ziploc bags full of booze duct taped to my body will go undetected unless they decide to frisk me.

I really don't want to think about the next place I will hide smuggled booze if that does not work but somehow I can't see them doing a cavity search.

I am diabetic and cannot drink alcohol so I have taken to drinking non-alcoholic beer mixed with diet ('cause of no 'sugar') ginger ale to take off the slightly bitter taste of the 'beer'..

My question is this: are u able to purchase non-alcoholic beer on board and do they also have 'diet' ginger ale?

Tried calling Carnival - Gee but its amazing how little anyone seems to know about what their ships carry so I am really hoping someone at CC can help.

If I carry my Drs certificate re: diabetis as proof of my condition do u think, if they do not have it, that I cld bring some non-alcoh. beer & sugar free ginger ale onboard myself?

It's not like I am going to be depriving Carnival of drink money 'cause I do not drink any booze/wine/beer or soft drinks either and because of the high sugar content I have to limit my intake of fruit drinks also..

Appreciate any replies..

Happy cruisin' all!

I don't have a problem with them enforcing the rules which have been in place for years. I DO have a problem with them mixing weak drinks like we had on the Glory recently. They were measuring the booze like it was liquid gold and charging what I thought was a premium price.

While I have enjoyed the ability to bring our own sodas and booze on previous sailings without any problem, I worry about future cruises where a weak drink for an inflated price is all that is available.

There's always another choice - take your business someplace else.

My question is this: are u able to purchase non-alcoholic beer on board and do they also have 'diet' ginger ale?

non-alcoholic beer is on the drink menu, but I never ordered one (probably choke if I tried :D).

I wouldn't count in diet GA, best you some yourself, and renew your stock in ports.

Oh...and drinking from a tap....I didn't know anyone did that anymore. Maybe it is because I'm from Florida but even the cat gets bottled water! :D

How crazy is that?? Giving cats bottled water! :eek: I'm from Florida and there is nothing wrong with the tap water.

Anyway, anyone that has been reading the paper or listening to the news lately knows that bottled water is on the way out. It is extremely environmently unfriendly! All that plastic!

You can safely drink the water on the ship and there are a lot of options that are free. Iced tea, juice etc. Soda cards are really not that expensive for the week.

It all boils down to "people that can afford a cruise should be also be able to afford soda cards and they should be considering this in their budget"

Oh...and drinking from a tap....I didn't know anyone did that anymore. Maybe it is because I'm from Florida but even the cat gets bottled water! :D

How crazy is that?? Giving cats bottled water! :eek: I'm from Florida and there is nothing wrong with the tap water.

Anyway, anyone that has been reading the paper or listening to the news lately knows that bottled water is on the way out. It is extremely environmently unfriendly! All that plastic!

Oh please, what about bottled soda and beer, is that going away too because of the plastic?

You can safely drink the water on the ship and there are a lot of options that are free. Iced tea, juice etc. Soda cards are really not that expensive for the week.

It all boils down to "people that can afford a cruise should be also be able to afford soda cards and they should be considering this in their budget"

I'll agree with you on that one, though.

Sorry double post ,I messed up the quote on the last one.

image.php?u=175557&type=sigpic&dateline=1187530923LTS1960 :p

[/color]

Oh please, what about bottled soda and beer, is that going away too because of the plastic?

Seriously, It is a big problem. There are some restaurants that no longer serve bottled water. The issue is that you can't get soda or beer out of a tap (wish you could!:rolleyes: ) but you can get lots of clean, fresh water without using plastic.

How and Why could porters get into your packed luggage and take out bottle water? How would they even know you packed some bottle water into your shoes???:confused:

In general terms*, all luggage is xrayed. If there is anything seen that is questionable, the luggage will be taken to the Purser's Desk and you will be paged to come down and open it.

* Applies to anything you are no along to bring on board, whilst they let most drinking supplies pass, an exorbitant amount of booze, or weapons (including diving knifes) for example will trigger the procedure.

It depends how your town gets its water.We can't drink the tap either so we send it through a whole house reverse osmosis system first.The deep wells are so sulpher contaminated that the process to purify it causes a stale after taste from the tap.

In general terms*, all luggage is xrayed. If there is anything seen that is questionable, the luggage will be taken to the Purser's Desk and you will be paged to come down and open it.

* Applies to anything you are no along to bring on board, whilst they let most drinking supplies pass, an exorbitant amount of booze, or weapons (including diving knifes) for example will trigger the procedure.

Actualy it will be taken to the security office and when you arrive there they will lock the door behind you and ask you to open the case while they riffle through it.They will open everything.Been there done that several times.My scuba gear triggers it all the time.

Archived