Tempio Maggiore Synagogue in Florence - info?

I believe that there is one main synagogue in Florence which I have seen a few decades ago. There is also a museum and a kosher dairy restaurant. I found it very interesting as the eternal lights were strung across the bema. They were brought when the Jews were expelled from Spain.

At the time that I was there, the walls and furniture were still water marked from the flooding of the Arno. We left a donation for restoration. They also had some interesting books for sale. Be prepared for extensive security checks.

Fran

Tempio Israelitico di Firenze

Synagogue of Florence

Florence's Synagogue

Via Farini 4

Florence, 50121 Italy

Phone: +39 055 234 6654

Hours of Operation: Apr-Sept: 10am-1pm, 2pm-5pm, Sun-Thurs; 10am-1pm, Fri. Oct-Mar: 10am-1pm, 2pm-4pm, Sun-Thurs. Closed during Hebrew festivals.

I was last there about five years ago, when it still had water damage from flooding!

It's a fascinating place. There were regular organised tours in English, and if you contact the Synagogue they should be able to tell you when the tours operate.

The shop is quite good. We came home with a beautiful large multicoloured Venetian glass Hannukiah, which I had to carry back as hand luggage.

As an aside, I was surprised by the number of shops in the main shopping areas of Venice selling glass items of Jewish interest, ranging through small and large glass Chasids, singly and in themed settings, through Kiddish cups, Hannukiot and even a decorative glass yod in the style of the glass ink pens. Some were even quite tasteful! There is an antiques shop just off St. Marks square at the opposite end to the Basilica which has quite a large selection of Judaica of all types.

Paul S

I just saw your post and would be happy to help you out. I was there two years ago with my husband and donated pictures to the museum of my parents wedding which took place there in Florence after the war. My mother and her family being an Italian Jews and Servi's were very prominent in the community. The security at the synagogue is very tight and if you go on their web site they will give you information as to time of tours etc. If you are going to be in Florence for a shabbat you could attend services if you tell them that you are going to be there. It is a beautiful building with moorish influences (quite different from the one in Rome) When we were in Venice we also noticed many of the shops selling judaica and that is probably because of he large jewish influence in Venice also. If I can be of any further help please email me at marilynnron@yahoo.com. Have a great trip!

Archived