Caye Caulker to tender area?

snorkelgal1

We are doing an excursion from 9-12 and wondered if we would have enough time to go to Caye Caulker afterward for a couple hours?

How far is it from the tendering area? How long would it take?

Where is the water taxi also in relation to the tender?

Any help would be great, we are new to exploring on our own.

thanks much!

I think it would be tight- it is a 45 minute water taxi ride. The ferry is dock is very close to the tender area, but you have to purchase tix, get on the boat, etc- so plan for 1 hour each way. Then you will have to make the last tender back to your ship etc.

Why don't you go have a nice lunch at the Smoky Mermaid (easy walk from the tender area), maybe a fun drink by the pool at the Raddison right next door to that (watermelon daquiri, perhaps??) , then walk back to the tender along the sea wall? That might be fun. Google for Smoky Mermaid info- not sure if they have a web site, but address should come up, and everyone knows where it is. You do not need to take a cab there.

I agree. I think the latest water taxi I would be comfortable catching out to Caye Caulker would be at 10:30 a.m. As I recall, I think we came back on the 3:30 water taxi. It is quite a distance to get out there and back. It's a short walk to get to the water taxi, but it can be a bit intimidating. When you get off the tender and are facing the shops, turn to your left a walk until you get to terminal 4. Walk all the way through terminal 4 and outside you'll see a gate with guards. Walk out of the gate turn left and walk down about a block and a half and it is on the left side of the street at the end of the block. Look up high on the building for the water taxi sign. There will be lots of vendors that try to sell you stuff and you just need to smile politely and keep walking, while you say no thanks.

I also would not do this alone, and would want to be in a group of at least two people.

$15 USD round trip. Once you get off the water taxi and you're standing on the dock facing land, hang a right and walk a short distance to Rainbow, which is a great place to have a drink and a bite to eat. You will see a small beach right next to Rainbow. If you walk a little further down the road, you'll find Tsunami Adventures. They offer all sorts of tours and excursions. They're nice folks!

Archived