PRIDE OF HAWAII REVIEW 3/19-3/26-Part II

missourihusker

We've been home for over a week now and can't get our trip to Hawaii off our mind. What a time we had on the POH. For all of you planning your trips I hope this review can give you some ideas. Like I had mentioned in Part I review you won't hear anything negative about our trip on POH. We were totally impressed with the ship as a whole. Here is a brief itinerary of our trip:

*Every port rented from Thrifty Blue Chip (except Kona)

Day 1>>>Rented a car for day trip to VNP in Hilo. First drove to local Walmart on the way north out of town to stock up on water, soda, and snacks for our week. Drove around rim making many stops and then on to Thurston Lava Tube. Rain off and on so we decided to drive down mtn. after lunch and catch the Akaka Falls before returning car. Glad we did such a pretty drive. That evening ate at Aloha Bar before sailing by the Volcano. This was a scene I'll never forget.

Day 2>>>Rented a jeep for 2 days in Maui and so glad we did. Driving with the top down was a treat. Left early off of ship around 8:30 and headed to McGregor's Point to overlook to spot Whales. Didn't take but 5 minutes and spotted our first Whale and calf. Drove south to Wailea Beach area to find the local Bob's Snorkel. I wanted to rent here because they rent you gear that can be taken from island to island having stores on every island and then the last day you can drop off at a 24 hr. drop off. This was nice having the snorkel gear with you all week (only $22). Snorkeled at beach and then drove north along Ka' anapali Coast on west side all the way to Hanakohau Bay. This is a beautiful drive. In a way reminded me of the Road to Hana in spots. Got back to ship around 5:00 and found a parking spot and got cleaned up before for reservation to eat at Jasmines (one of our favorites).

Day 3>>>Got up early and left ship around 8:00 to make our way up the Road to Hana. One bit of advice if you don't have the C.D. to listen to as you drive. Go to the library on deck 7 and they have the copies of Maui and Kauai Revealed you can check out all week long. We made several stops on the way up enjoying spectacular overlooks. You have to make a stop at the Wai'anapanapa State Park. Awesome black sand beach with arch and water spout. We made it all the way past Hana to the Red Sand Beach and hiked to see it before we turned around at about 1:30 to make our trip back. Had to stop and buy a couple loaves of Banana Bread (really good). Many stops on way back were better for pictures because sun wasn't a glare looking to the East. No problem checking back jeep into Thrifty and getting shuttled back in time for our reservation to Papa's Italian Restaurant.

Day 4>>>Sailed into Kona early morning watched them unload tender boats. This day was our beach day at Honaunau Bay. Right off the tender boat walk across the street to sign that says beach shuttle. Buy a $10 shuttle and get a wrist band to get a short 10 minute ride to one of the best snorkeling beaches to see green sea turtles. I took an underwater camera and within an hour had 27 pictures taken of many turtles, tropical fish of all kinds, and had a 4 ft. Moray eel swim in front of me. They have a nice open air restaurant next to beach that has some good fish and chips. It was really a nice relaxing day. Got tendered back to ship after shuttle and had a nice meal at the Aloha Food Bar.

Day 5>>>Arrived in Kauai at 8:00 a.m. Let wife sleep in and I shuttled to Thrifty picked up our new mustang convertible for the 2 days. Came back to ship with car and immediately went across street and purchased a validated parking ticket for the nights parking (this is a must do). Our first day we drove the East side to Opaeka Falls and then up to the Kilauea Lighthouse. The lighthouse was one of the highlights of our trip. Unbelievable pictures taken here and seeing the whales out off the point was the best part. Drove onto Princeville area and then to the end of northern tip at Kalalau Beach. Started to hike the 14 mile trail but only made it about a 1/2 mile and it started raining. Didn't plan on doing the entire trail but wanted to go a little way. Glad we did as we got to see an amazing rainbow over the ocean from the cliffs on trail. Got back to ship and parked car. Parking lot full but with pre-paid ticket one spot was left for our car. Ate at the Grand Pacific. Thought it was good but not our favorite compared to the others.

Day 6>>>Got up early and drove to Waimea Canyon. Really a beautiful drive and the colors in Canyon changes by the minute. We had enough time we drove down to the southern tip on our way back and stopped at the Po'ipu Beach and took pitures of a Monk Seal laying on beach and then drove over to the Spouting Horn. Checked in car and shuttled back to ship before our 2:00 departure. Our sailing by the Napali Coastline is something along with the night Volcano I'll never forget. It's like your standing in awe not believing the beauty in front of you. And to top that we have a whale swimming along side the ship out about 100 yds spouting and breaching. What a way to put an exclamation point on the end of a cruise. This night I had reserved for our Anniversary Pkg. at LiBistro's Restaurant. This was excellent food and the service was very good.

Final Day>>>Ported in Honolulu and my wife and I did the early walk-off with our bags knowing that we had a free shuttle to the airport. Rented a car at Airport and put all our bags in trunk and took off for Pearl Harbor to get our Arizona tickets. Toured the Arizona and then drove the entire north shore making an entire circle down the east side coming thru a long tunnel. What was amazing it was raining on the east side and when we come out the mtn. on west side coming into Honolulu the sun was shining. Spent the remaining afternoon circled around Diamond Head watching surfers from lookout and then drove down Wakiki Beach area before returning car before our late flight home departing at 10:30 p.m.

>>>Overall we had a grand time. If you read Part I of our trip review I've made a list of the Must Do's. Like I said in the first review I'll say again. If I had the time and money and NCL would let me do it I'd stay on the ship for another week and do the same itinerary all over again.

To all of you that have your trip waiting for you I wish you the best and hope that your trip will go as good as ours did.

Aloha!!!!

Archived