Coast Guard picked up sick passenger from Miracle

karensmom

I was on the 3/25 sailing of the Miracle. On Saturday, March 31, the captain announced that we had a sick passenger who was in stable condition but needed medical attention. He said we were going as fast as possible to get to port as soon as we could. During the main seating of dinner, the cruise director announced that the passenger's condition had deteriorated and the Coast Guard would be flying out to pick her up.

The Coast Guard showed up just after sunset, and picked up the woman and at least two other people. We were in 7298 and had a good view of the whole thing from our balcony, since they picked her up from that part of the Lido deck. Pretty amazing to watch the whole thing unfold just two decks above us.

We were never told anything about her age or condition, but of course rumors were going all through the ship. The consensus was that she was an older woman who had heart problems. (I must say, if I had heart problems, being picked up in a basket by a helicopter hovering over a moving cruise ship probably wouldn't help them.) It was difficult to see exactly what was going on.

The helicopter approached from the rear of the ship, and then hovered for a few moments just behind the ship. My guess is that they were assessing the situation. Later they hovered and sent down the basket, and we couldn't really see who was pulled up, but I'm assuming it was the patient. On the basket's second trip, I could see a man sitting up and wearing a life vest, so I'm guessing he was a relative. After they got that man onboard, the helicopter moved away, circled three times, and came back to hover once again. This time, they sent down a hook and pulled someone up by the hook. After that they took off for good. From the time we first saw the helicopter until it left was about 35 minutes or so.

It was pretty impressive watching it, and boy, was it loud, even with my earplugs in. The winds it kicks up are very intense as well. I had to hold onto the balcony to keep standing upright, and it took me about 20 minutes to comb the tangles out of my hair afterwards.

Just curious does anyone know how this works, assuming that you have insurance. Do you have to pay up front and then your insurance reimburse you. I always take extra money with me, but not that kind! And I guess if you don't have a passport that opens up a whole other question.

Just curious does anyone know how this works, assuming that you have insurance. Do you have to pay up front and then your insurance reimburse you.

Depends. You may have to pay "up front". In many cases, you're sent a bill. The insurer reimburses any "up front" fees/pays the bill [if it's for an issue covered by the insurance policy]

We were never told anything about her age or condition, but of course rumors were going all through the ship. The consensus was that she was an older woman who had heart problems. (I must say, if I had heart problems, being picked up in a basket by a helicopter hovering over a moving cruise ship probably wouldn't help them.) It was difficult to see exactly what was going on.

ya got that right! wow. i wonder if this had anything to do w/ swelling. some people get so swollen, it isn't good for the heart. my step father's heart dr. told him no more cruising for him. not something he wanted to hear...

Watching a Coast Guard rescue at sea is awesome. We have been onboard for two of them and the conditions are pretty precarious with all the lines they have to watch on the ship. Also the water in the pool gets churned pretty good; perfect for surfing.

Archived