Overnighting in Dover

Hi everyone: My husband and I just booked the 5/17 sailing to the Baltic (yes, we're a little late). We're thinking we will go a day early, and then go on down to Dover and spend the night. Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any recommendations for places to stay (and also, of course, EAT!)? Ideally, we'd like to find an accomodation with at least some ground-floor rooms. My mom will be travelling with us, and has a bum knee and would prefer to avoid stairs if possible.

Thanks!

Sara

You've picked a great cruise - enjoy. :D

I can't help you with the Dover question but you might find more help over on either the Britain Ports of Call board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146 or on the British Isles / Western Europe board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233.

We found lots of useful information relating to our ports of call on the Northern Europe & Baltics board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192 Although most posters aren't travelling with NCL all cruise lines visit the same ports (more or less) so the information provided is just as applicable for you.

The night before boarding the ship, I stayed at the Churchill Hotel last year and found it satisfactory, though the rooms are small. I don't know if they have ground-floor rooms, but there is an elevator serving the upper floors. I believe the Churchill is a "Best Western" property, which simplifies the reservation process for Americans.

The night before boarding the ship, I stayed at the Churchill Hotel last year and found it satisfactory, though the rooms are small. I don't know if they have ground-floor rooms, but there is an elevator serving the upper floors. I believe the Churchill is a "Best Western" property, which simplifies the reservation process for Americans.

We took this cruise (Western Europe) on Princess (Sky Princess) in 1997. It was at the same time that Diana, Princess of Wales was killed. We took the train from London to Dover (3 hrs). Was very pleasant. Stayed at the Churchill too. Was very nice. The White Cliffs of Dover were breathtaking especially when sailing by. Then there is the Dover castle on the hill. What a sight. This was one of my more favourite cruises. I guess because of the "Diana" thing. We had just left France at 6 p.m. the night it happened and found out next day in Cornwall, England what had happened. We were in Edinburgh the day before the funeral and for those who were there the next day to visit, the castle was closed because of the funeral. The flower tributes in London were very sad to see.

I doubt you'll have any problem overnighting in Dover. It is teeming with small hotels and guest houses.

Being on of the busiest ferry ports in Europe, it has recently lost much business to the channel tunnel so accomodation is plentiful.

There is an English tourist board office in Dover who will be able to provide you with a list of hotels etc and I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

Unfortunately I don't have a website to hand. But enjoy your cruise.

Hi everyone: My husband and I just booked the 5/17 sailing to the Baltic (yes, we're a little late). We're thinking we will go a day early, and then go on down to Dover and spend the night. Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any recommendations for places to stay (and also, of course, EAT!)? Ideally, we'd like to find an accomodation with at least some ground-floor rooms. My mom will be travelling with us, and has a bum knee and would prefer to avoid stairs if possible.

Thanks!

Sara

Hi Sara

We are doing the same cruise in August and were able to find and book our accommodation through the following website

http://www.stayindover.co.uk/

We decided on a bed and breakfast right near the cruise terminal, but there seems to be lots of choice of accommodation.

When you return, be sure to post a review for all of us Cruise Critic readers! Enjoy your cruise!!

rmpkingmom

Archived