Courtyard Villa Odd Layout?

We are considering a Courtyard Villa for an upcoing Jewel sailing. It is very expensive so I want to make the right decision. I am a little concerned reaarding the "curtain" separating the master bedroom from the master bathroom. I am used to having a door between bed and bath and am curious how those who have occupied a Courtyard Villa feel about the bed/bath area. Does a curtain really provide enough privacy, or do you feel like you're sleeping in a bathroom:eek: ? Any opinions would be appreciated.

I can only give you our experience on PoH. The curtain is this huge, thick and very heavy drape which completely closes off the bedroom area from the bathroom. There's a kind of "arched" partial wall and then the drape closes over the opening. In addition, the part of the bathroom that is "open" to the bedroom is the long vanity with double sinks and with the huge bathtub (and picture window) at the far end. There's even a vanity dressing stool and built in magnifying mirror. The toilet is in it's own little "room" (with phone and drink holder no less; as we were exploring the suite, my phone rang--it was DH asking, "Guess where I am?" Of course, you can guess). The shower is also a separate space. It's very large and has a floor to ceiling window (with shade if you feel the need; we didn't because the exerior of the glass has that reflective coating). I never once felt as if we were sleeping in the bathroom.

beachchick

Even though I didn't feel as though I was sleeping in the bathroom, I never felt comfortable without a separate door to the bathroom. Perhaps it's just a privacy thing I have but it is a luxury suite and I don't think a combo bedroom/bathroom is luxurious. I think it was poor planning. The bathroom could easily have been separated by a glass wall similar to those they used to enclose the toilet and shower.

In any event, it never detracted from my enjoyment.

Even though I didn't feel as though I was sleeping in the bathroom, I never felt comfortable without a separate door to the bathroom. Perhaps it's just a privacy thing I have but it is a luxury suite and I don't think a combo bedroom/bathroom is luxurious. I think it was poor planning. The bathroom could easily have been separated by a glass wall similar to those they used to enclose the toilet and shower.

In any event, it never detracted from my enjoyment.

That is funny - I felt just the opposite the several times I cruised in an AB (same layout). Doors would have created a very cramped bedroom area. Every night the cabin stewards would close the curtains when they turned down the cabin. Every night before going to bed we would tie them back open. Nothing better then waking up and looking out the window across the expansive luxury space. I suppose if there were doors I could have left them open as well and everyone would be happy. ;)

That is funny - I felt just the opposite the several times I cruised in an AB (same layout). Doors would have created a very cramped bedroom area. Every night the cabin stewards would close the curtains when they turned down the cabin. Every night before going to bed we would tie them back open. Nothing better then waking up and looking out the window across the expansive luxury space. I suppose if there were doors I could have left them open as well and everyone would be happy. ;)

I totally agree with the statements above as well as the one of "being tucked away in your own cave". Twice we've had this layout and look forward to the day again we can cruise in this type of luxury.

The OP asked whether or not other people felt enough privacy during the cruise without a bathroom door. The only time the curtain is usually drawn is at night. All day long the curtain is open exposing the bathroom (along with anyone in it) to the bedroom and the living room unless you also close the sliding doors separating the living room from the bathroom.

Those are the facts. The OP may want to consider a different cabin layout if privacy remains a concern.

The OP asked whether or not other people felt enough privacy during the cruise without a bathroom door. The only time the curtain is usually drawn is at night. All day long the curtain is open exposing the bathroom (along with anyone in it) to the bedroom and the living room unless you also close the sliding doors separating the living room from the bathroom.

Those are the facts. The OP may want to consider a different cabin layout if privacy remains a concern.

Or use the second bathroom ;) all the privacy in the world

We tell our cabin steward NOT to close the curtains at night before bedtime - we love waking up in the AM and seeing the view through the window over the tub!

IMHO there are NO suites laid-out better than the AB's and A3's (I'm in one next week).......unless of course you're in a GV and have 3 different bathrooms to choose from!:p

AB, A4 and A3 are an excellent layout and well worth the money! I actually like it better then the GV! It is very cosy and privacy is there, I just do not get it!! Do you feel uncomfortible in front of yourself??? This is the best Suites afloat and I do not get it!

We found the curtain separating the bath from the bedroom to be enough privacy for night and napping during the day. However, I found the glass sliding doors from the living area to the bathroom to be more of a problem. Those doors were rarely closed and deliveries to the penthouse happen several times a day. I kept telling my DH to close the doors so that Lucky did not get lucky. Lucky was the butler.

I totally agree with Eileen N about the doors that divide the master bath from the living room. On the dawn they were a frosted glass, and I did worry that they were too see through. We did have people hanging out in our living room area and i did not want to be parading around in our bedroom/bathroom while they were there!!!

We will be on the pearl in July in an A3--Are the dividing doors on the Pearl wooden or glass?????

Talk about feeling like you are in a fishbowl, we stayed in the garden villa on the dawn. The front door is see through, so as I walked between the 3 bedrooms at nighttime to check on all of our kids or walked into the living room to sit and relax in my PJ's, I kept looking out to see if i was flashing the butlers or our neighbors in the other garden villa.

:rolleyes:

On the Pearl it is frosted Glass and it is enough to keep the eyes out! I eveb showered in the Garden Villa on the Dawn without the wodden drapes down! I realized it to late why people from the pool have been waving up there! WHO cares!!! Unless you are the ugliest person on earth!!!

I had a Courtyard Villa on the POH in March. It was gorgeous BUT the suite is designed for a couple and when we booked no one knew or told us the bed is a queen size and does NOT split into two singles. Well, I was not going to sleep with my friend, close friend but not THAT close to sleep with for the entire week so I asked for a rollaway. The steward brought a very nice trundle bed but he and the butler didn't seem to want the living room cramped with the bed so later that night of embarkation our butler came in and told us the family in a two bedroom villa upgraded to the Garden Villa and we could move into the two bedroom CV. It's the same layout but with a second bedroom and bath. It was wonderful having the second bedroom and bath because there really is no privacy with just the curtain between the main bedroom and large bath.

This was our 6th cruise with the 3 kiddies- we have always been in suites with them. At firsyt I was totally bummed when we entered the 2 bedroom CV- last year we had the Walt Disney suite on Disney Cruises. ( it is twice as big and even has a library!)

Anyway, the CV worked very well. There is a sliding door between the MB and the dining area, and the masterbedroom is really fun- the bed is in your own little cavern!

It was well worth the price, and the size turned out to be fine. The only problem is the weird storage palces- eneded up with clothes under the TV in the bedroom, but no biggie.

We booked the same room again, as the privacy of the pool area and the sundeck, the butler availability and the wonderful views from the private lounge make this room very superior to the Disney and Royal CArribean of the same class.I still don't have the guts to move up to a GV, though!!

Katie:D

Do it do it do it!!

Thanks Katie, that is helpful. I, too, was a little disappointed when I first saw pictures of the CV online, as we have been in a full suite on Carnival Liberty and it was a beautiful suite with marble and mosaic in the HUGE bathroom (which was separated with a door) and very plush furnishings and color palette. However the lure of the CV amenities made me think it might be worth the additional cost. We also have two children (9 & 14), do you feel like the Courtyard area was suitable for your kids? The cruise we are considering is a very port intensive 12 night, with only two sea days, and I just wonder if we will get our monies worth from it.

The Suite is wonderful, but the Courtyard is not suitable for kids! It is a very quiet area and NO children playground.

Especially, if you have many port intensive days, do the AB Penthouse, which is the same as the CV, just without the Courtyard and right by the pool deck, where Kids have more fun!

Archived