Courtyard Villa Odd Layout?

We had considered a courtyard villa on the POH, but found that we could book 2 interconnected AE Penthouse suites on the PoAM for considerably less money...we will miss out on a few perks, but also have much more room and balcony space. We are cruising with kids, and I also did not feel that the Courtyard villa offered a lot of privacy for a family, and was also concerned that the courtyard itself would not be a teen-friendly environment.

The bathroom looks spectacular, but I would rather have the bed closer to the window, and the bath in the interior section of the cabin. Perhaps we will try one sometime in the future when it is just DW and myself.

The Suite is wonderful, but the Courtyard is not suitable for kids! It is a very quiet area and NO children playground.

Especially, if you have many port intensive days, do the AB Penthouse, which is the same as the CV, just without the Courtyard and right by the pool deck, where Kids have more fun!

I have to disagree (partly). It most certainly is not suitable for horse play, running around, loud voices, and overly rambuncious behavior. However, there were several kids staying with their parents in the A3s on PoH. They spent time in the Courtyard, but were not a disturbance. They enjoyed the pool (which is a tiny little recessed one with the endless pool option), but didn't splash and scream; they enjoyed lounging around, but didn't play loud games or make a big fuss; they enjoyed sitting in the Courtyard for the early morning butler's continental breakfast, but they didn't get into food fights. As long as they are well behaved, there's no reason that kids can't enjoy the Courtyard (and NCL must agree because the A3 second bedroom is pretty much obviously meant for kids).

I completely agree that kids would enjoy the pool deck action far more--and there's no reason that they couldn't go there for more active fun. If their parents want to book an A3, they should go ahead. But they should also explain to the kids that the Courtyard is meant to be a quiet place for relaxation and that it is not (as you correctly point out) a "children's playground." NCL advertises the Courtyard as a place to get away from it all in a quiet and elegant setting, so they also must agree that rough-housing kids don't belong in the Courtyard. As long as parents make it clear to their kids (and follow through on ensuring good behavior), there's no problem.

As always, JMHO. (BTW, DH and I have raised our DD and cruise when fewer kids are likely to be onboard, and we advocate for enforcement of "adults only" places, so I'm not one to encourage kids to be where they shouldn't.)

beachchick

Beachick I totally aree with you, but the problem is that you can not filter the good from the bad! And most parents in those days just do not care, because they "think" they have the most beautyful child and it can do whatever they please.

Thank you for the opinions on children in the CV pool area. Our kids have very good "company manners" and would at times prefer the CV pool and other times we will move to the bigger pool. They actually sometimes prefer to just sit peacefully and read or play quietly in the pool.

The bigger and much more serious issue is that of adults and cigar and cigarette smoke. What is the NCL policy in this area on that??? We have 3 family members with asthma and we try to avoid small close quarters with continual heavy smoking. Our family usually just moves where we are sitting if someone is chain smoking near us, so it usually is no big deal, but since there is limited space in this beautiful yet cozy area-I am a bit worried.

:-)

Beachchick - I appreciate your comments. No, my children are far from perfect, but they are on the quiet side and prefer hanging out in quiet areas, rather than the loud/sometimes rowdy masses that are usually in pool/hot tub area. We always stay on the Club Level at the Ritz Carltons and they never have a problem observing the "quiet" rules in the Concierge Club. We also try to cruise when there won't be a lot of kids on board because it seems like some parents consider cruises a vaction from enforcing common courteous behavior from their kids, and often times don't even know where their kids are, it really drives me nuts. All kids need an area to run around in sometimes, but that is what we use the sports court for. Becauseisaidso and I have a common issue, as both of my kids have asthma. They are usually fine, but they really can't be in a closed area with smokers. Sneakstud, are you indicating that the CV public area is considered by the NCL as a smoking area, or just that occasionally some people smoke? Most of the areas on the ship are considered non-smoking, unless specifically meant for smoking, so I'm surprised the CV area would allow smoking in the public part. We're still up in the air about what category to go with. A lot of pros for the CV, but some important cons as well. All of your comments bring up valid points, thanks for sharing them.

Beachchick - I appreciate your comments. No, my children are far from perfect, but they are on the quiet side and prefer hanging out in quiet areas, rather than the loud/sometimes rowdy masses that are usually in pool/hot tub area. We always stay on the Club Level at the Ritz Carltons and they never have a problem observing the "quiet" rules in the Concierge Club. We also try to cruise when there won't be a lot of kids on board because it seems like some parents consider cruises a vaction from enforcing common courteous behavior from their kids, and often times don't even know where their kids are, it really drives me nuts. All kids need an area to run around in sometimes, but that is what we use the sports court for. Becauseisaidso and I have a common issue, as both of my kids have asthma. They are usually fine, but they really can't be in a closed area with smokers. Sneakstud, are you indicating that the CV public area is considered by the NCL as a smoking area, or just that occasionally some people smoke? Most of the areas on the ship are considered non-smoking, unless specifically meant for smoking, so I'm surprised the CV area would allow smoking in the public part. We're still up in the air about what category to go with. A lot of pros for the CV, but some important cons as well. All of your comments bring up valid points, thanks for sharing them.

I think your kids will be fine in the C/Y public area. The times I have been up there it could have used a little activity. Even though I don't have kids I would much rather be around them then some of the stuffy people that spent 12 days complaining about the hot tub temp.

As far as smoking goes, the top is open a lot during warmer weather so I don't remember it being smokey on either of my Jewel cruises.

Some don't like smoke, some don't like kids. It is a cruise ship enviroment. We should all try to tolerate and maybe even enjoy our fellow passengers.

Archived