Gluten free

huxlemo

Does Carnival offer gluten free menu items on board?

I just got off of the Conquest last Sunday and enjoyed a gluten free cruise. Last year at this time I had just found out that I have Celiac and had a cruise on the Miracle planned for May. Let's just say that the hostess in the restaraunt knew as much about gluten as I did (not a lot). This year was much better! I had the best hostess that I could hope for. She came to my table each night so that I could choose my meal for the next night. She offered suggestions for desserts and everything. Excluding the first night, I had gluten free bread every night that was delicious! I had flourless chocolate cake twice, vanilla creme brulee twice and baked apples with vanilla ice cream twice. I can't get over how much better the service was this year. You'll need to let your TA or PVP know ASAP and they'll get you the special needs form that you need to complete and fax to carnival. Then once you get settled on the ship, meet with your maitre d and let them know that you have special dietary needs and you'll be fine from then on out. They would tell me if there was no way the choices that I made could be prepared gf, but most times the adjustments were minor. Last year I lost weight but this year I gained 5 lbs, so that should say it all. Good luck and have fun!!:)

When I booked my cruise I asked the person at Carnival what we had to do to request items to be gluten free. She said they don't do anything special for gluten free, just diabetes. So, I dropped it. Now I see these posts that I should contact my pvp or ta. I just called Carnival and they told me the same thing, that I just need to tell the maitre'd when we get on our cruise. But after persisting to get the special needs form, they said they would e-mail it to me. Thank you so much for your help.

When I booked my cruise I asked the person at Carnival what we had to do to request items to be gluten free. She said they don't do anything special for gluten free, just diabetes. So, I dropped it. Now I see these posts that I should contact my pvp or ta. I just called Carnival and they told me the same thing, that I just need to tell the maitre'd when we get on our cruise. But after persisting to get the special needs form, they said they would e-mail it to me. Thank you so much for your help.

Same here. Our booking agent told my friend (who inquired about me, since I'm a Celiac) that we need to tell the maitre'd and it would be taken care of. We'll see. I mean, I was diagnosed when I was two, so I know what to avoid anyway, but it would be nice if Carnival could be a little more accomodating, considering nearly 1 out of every 120 Americans has Celiac.

Good luck!

PS: I wouldn't eat ANY bread the cruise gave me, even if they said it was gluten-free. I guess I'm not that trusting :P

We just returned on Sunday from our first cruise. I told my TA at booking and also called Carnival a few times to inform them of my daughters allergy to wheat. I filled out and faxed in the special needs request.

When we got onboard we immediately went to the purser and he looked it up and yes, my daughters allergy to wheat was noted on their paperwork. Then, we went straight to the maitre d and he told me to tell his assistant at dinner. At dinner I told her and she said that they had not received any infromation from anyone so they did not have any gluten free flour onboard. She said, "Gluten free diets are not very common and we don't have anything prepared. Is your daughter going to choose something or not?" It's very frustrating to prepare ahead and make sure everything was taken care of but then when we arrived the dining room claimed they had no idea and coudn't offer any alternatives for my daughter.

~Cari

My sis is a celiac and cruised with us for the 1st time last Nov. They really dropped the ball onit for the first 2 days of the 5 day cruise. They gave here things they said were GF but were not ( breadcrumbs count people:) then promised her the 1st ngiht to make GF breand for the next night , night eve no Gf bread. Finally got it the 3rd night. I called Ta when we booked, it was marked special diatarty, called the carnival special needs hotline 3 weeks before like I was told. Talked to MD first night. They finally got it going on the 3rd night but it was a bit stressful. My sis could only eat baked potatoes and salad the first eve for dinner as she doesnt eat beef, so the chicken was breaded and they "couldnt make her a plain Chicken breast etc) you may bring your own Gf food and they will prepare it for you. My sis brought Gf pasta and they made her a nice dish. I just think some waitstaff dont understand but we got it worked out and a OBc for our troubles ( we paid for the trip )

Archived