Rental car or taxi?

AlaskanPair

We can't decide between renting a vehicle, or taking taxis for the day. We're planning on going snorkeling w/Dalila Divers, then would like to explore the island. Maybe have lunch @ Coconuts, and probably not much shopping. I've read about the misfortune of a cruiser in an auto accident, and don't want to worry about the same thing. If we take a taxi to the dive shop, then get another one after snorkeling, will they stay around for us while we have lunch, explore the beach, etc.? Or do we have to get another one after each stop? Either way, how much more would it cost than a car rental?

I'd appreciate any help!

We can't decide between renting a vehicle, or taking taxis for the day. We're planning on going snorkeling w/Dalila Divers, then would like to explore the island. Maybe have lunch @ Coconuts, and probably not much shopping. I've read about the misfortune of a cruiser in an auto accident, and don't want to worry about the same thing. If we take a taxi to the dive shop, then get another one after snorkeling, will they stay around for us while we have lunch, explore the beach, etc.? Or do we have to get another one after each stop? Either way, how much more would it cost than a car rental?

I'd appreciate any help!

After your drive you can ask the taxi drive how much for x amount of hours, they say the later in the day the better the deals..

I'd appreciate any help!

The island is very small and easy to get around http://www.gocozumel.com/island-map.htm . You can get a VW convertible for about $40.00 (insurance included be sure to always check deductibles and negotiate them down to at least $400.00). I usually use Less Pay but Smart is just as good http://www.islacozumel.net/rentals/ Just take your time and stay out of the taxi's way. Just pay attention and drive like you would around Alaska or anywhere else. The drive around the island has only one road so it is very laid back, no problems there. In the city of San Miguel http://www.gocozumel.com/map.htm you have to really pay attention to the one way streets and the stop signs are way ahead of the intersections so be careful in the city. There are maps and rental cars all over the web just do a Google search. If you get a chance try snorkeling at Dzul Ha ( free with a coke or beer purchase) have fun, earl.

Archived