Snorkeling advice

Sunbum1

I'm pretty sure in Nassau the only snorkeling is off a boat. Don't waste your time. Nothing much to see and as someone who has never snorkeled he might get freaked out because those excursions are cattle boats - people everywhere and fins gallore in your face. I can remember the water being a bit rough too. Crew pretty much let us go on our own and I saw a beginner gasping and starting to panic in the water and had to help him back to the boat - crew was clueless.

Coco Cay has pretty good snorkeling, and its all day at your leisure right off the beach, so he can walk in and get comfortable using the equipment. They show you how to use the equipment and there are lifeguards on the beach and in the water, plus they make you wear a snorkel vest, which you can inflate so you feel really comfortable in the water.

First time out....I agree .....Cococay......you can go as far out as you feel like. During the Fall....they do not have the Jelly fish problem that they have in the Spring. For the record.....we are going in May.....will be trying out Stuart Cove in Nassau. They are supposed to be one of the best in the business. Do not let him sign up for one that they offer through the ship. The most enjoyable experiances are far far away from those cattle boats. Rob

Returned on Monday from the Sovereign. We did the Stuart Cove's snorkel trip in Nassau. The first two stops were decent snorkeling. The third stop we snorkeled with reef sharks. My husband said it's by far the best snorkeling stop we've ever done, including Stingray City. We also snorkeled in Coco Cay. This is a good place for beginners to slowly get into snorkeling. It's not the best snorkeling place, but was okay.

Cococay is not too bad. it's kind of a man made reef, with a few corals starting to form. They won't last though. Too many people kicking them.

Tons of fish. You have to go out of the little bay to see stuff though.

As your facing out at the water from the beach, leave the little bay and bear left. There are a lot of rocks and fish, fairly clear waters. Taking a long swim to the sunken airplane is fun too. (furthest life guard station) Many jacks and squirrelfish live out by the airplane.

We also saw queen triggers, puffers and a couple of nice eagle rays.

Have fun,

M

Archived