M/V Discovery

foxrunroad

Correction: Posted as Explorer earlier by mistake:

Thinking of using M/V Discovery for an Antarctic trip this winter. Looking for general feedback. Also, how long did it take to cross the Drake's Passage. Understand rough usually. Best time to go? Were excursions included in price and how many?

This month's World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's (WOCLS) newletter has a very flattering review of the Discovery.

I sailed 4 times on her sister, the late great Pacific Princess, and enjoyed the experience very much.

This month's World Ocean and Cruise Liner Society's (WOCLS) newletter has a very flattering review of the Discovery.

I sailed 4 times on her sister, the late great Pacific Princess, and enjoyed the experience very much.

Druke I,

I tried to go their website, but it will not load---comes up as a bad address [http://www.wocls.org]. Any ideas where I could read that review?

Thanks!

We did the Antarctica cruise on Discovery this winter. Drakes passage takes a day to cross each way. It was very calm when we went. The Captain announced it was the calmest he has ever seen it.

The landings in Antartica (we had 3) were included as were some of the excursions at other ports of call. In the cities where we had no scheduled excursions we brought the excursion book and negotiated with local taxi drivers to see the sites we were interested in. It worked out very well. They speak very little English so it helps if you know some basic Spanish.

The experience was awesome. You will have a great time!!!:)

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are booked on the M/V Discovery for the February 10, 2008 journey, Antarctica & Chilean Fjords. :D We did much research before booking on Discovery. For sure there are ships that offer nicer amenities but don't make landings, or there are ships that make landings and charge way more money. All in all, I think Discovery is a great way to get the most bang for the buck. By the way, I called and spoke with two former cruisers on Discovery. Both said their guest speakers are fantastic.

I hope you come along!

Ramona

My husband and I are booked on the M/V Discovery for the February 10' date=' 2008 journey, Antarctica & Chilean Fjords. :D We did much research before booking on Discovery. For sure there are ships that offer nicer amenities but don't make landings, or there are ships that make landings and charge way more money. All in all, I think Discovery is a great way to get the most bang for the buck. By the way, I called and spoke with two former cruisers on Discovery. Both said their guest speakers are fantastic.[/color']

I hope you come along!

Ramona

Are you going on the Journey too? Or did you cancel that and switch to the Discovery? I considered the Journey, but called Celebrity, and they admitted that they would have no landings, just sail-bys. I posted similar comments on another thread---I consider this a great middle of the road option, with landings and a cruise experience, instead of the expedition boat experience or just sail-bys that Celebrity, Princess, and Hal offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually had Ocenia & Celebrity as options for the trip as well but once I did further research we wanted more than just drive-by's of Antarctica. That is why we made our final decision for Discovery. From what I've read I think we'll get a very good trip for our money.

I would love to hear from anyone else that is going on this cruise!

• 5 weeks later...
:) For those travelling on the Discovery go into this 5 Part Blog found it informative and helpful www.maritimematters.com/discovery-blog1.html

good photos and current details, rather than looking at 2003 reviews

We are looking forward to the Chilean Fijords and Antartica Feb 10 2008 as well Ann

Mr Knego's blog is certainly helpful for those contemplating a voyage to Antarctica on Discovery. The photos of the ship are also informative.

So far as his opinion of the food, etc, is concerned it is good to see that he has nothing negative to say.

However I note that Mr. Knego was a member of a press group. The last page of his blog has a photo of the group with their names and details of the cruise publications they work for. So he was not an ordinary passenger.

Cruise Critic's own reviewer, Daniel Gordon Benedict, was also one of the group. His review appears on this site. To my mind it is more balanced, but that is only my opinion.

My wife and I took the Discovery to Antartica in January 2006. This was our second trip. The Discovery was full which made for an all day taking passengers ashore but the crew was spendid dealing with a lot of older passengers including one lady who was in a wheelchair. They put her in the zodiac alone ( no other passengers ) and about 3 crew took her ashore and saw to it that she actually landed in Antartica-that was impressive. The food is good, the entertainment O.K. It is an older ship ( a sister ship of the orignal Princess Love Boat ) but they do work to keep it maintained. Our other trip was on the Nordnorge ( a Norwegian Coastal ferry boat ). We had about 300 passengers so we went ashore twice a day. We even went to South Georgia and if you are interested in paying a bit more, that is more than worth the trip ( Shackleton is buried there and you will go to his burial site. South Georgia is where all the whaling took place and what is left of the whaling stations is fun to see. Plus, there is just tons of wildlife ( seals, penquins, sea lions and lots of birds. We have been in the Drake Passage 6 times now it is usually rough-think 20 to 35 foot swells ( and windy ). It usually takes 35 hours to cross so take Bonine ( doesn't make you sleepy ) or get a doctor to prescribe Scopoline ( patch behind your ear ). We may go back again and if we go, we will go with Norwegian Coastal-not great on food and no entertainment but lots of lectures ). Because of the swells, do get a room at least half way back in the ship. There are times when the ship goes head first into those swells and that is just plain pounding and you will get little or no sleep. ( we know-awful experience-got moved mid ship no problem ).

Any questions, drop me a line at hatcherpw@verizon.net.

Pete

Because of the swells, do get a room at least half way back in the ship. There are times when the ship goes head first into those swells and that is just plain pounding and you will get little or no sleep. ( we know-awful experience-got moved mid ship no problem ).

Hi Pete

Just wondering whether your wave problems were with the Discovery or the Nordnorge? Or both? Guess you certainly knew you were on a ship and not a floating hotel like some of the big cruise ships!

Cheers

Discovery World Cruises was started in 2003 by Gerry Herrod, previous owner of Ocean Cruise Lines. I worked for a while on their Ocean Islander in 1986. I wondered if any of you 'Discovery' cruisers remember Ocean Cruise Lines?

Archived