Ixtapa/Zihua beach

rds912

Most people will tell you to go to Los Gatos beach. It's a short boat ride away. But be forewarned.

I was on the Mercury last year and our table mates went snorkeling at Los Gatos beach. 3 of the 4 went onto the water. Those 3 got very sick. After two days vomiting and fever, they finally returned to dinner.

I asked what happened and he said "I should have suspected something was wrong when we saw dead chickens in the Water".

Basically Los gatos and many beaches in Mexico are really small coves and bacteria from sewage never is completely removed from the waters.

Wow - dead chickens - that is disgusting!!!! We were at Las Gatas last week and it was amazing - the water was the clearest and cleanest of any of our 6 ports - definately would not hesitate to go back... We spent the afternoon on Playa La Ropa - which is a 10 min taxi ride away from the ship - also a lovely beach, although the water was not as clear as at Las Gatas I would not say it was 'dirty' by any means. Maybe we just got lucky the day we were there?? Jayna K

We were there the end of March. Just loved it. Very relaxing and never got sick. Had some wonderful fish tacos for lunch and were treated very special by the food vendors. I would highly recommend going. We never saw anything wrong with the water. We didn't snorkel, but many people were. It was a Mexican holiday so many of the local people were there as well. It was a great time.

I was on the Mercury last year and our table mates went snorkeling at Los Gatos beach. 3 of the 4 went onto the water. Those 3 got very sick. After two days vomiting and fever, they finally returned to dinner.

I asked what happened and he said "I should have suspected something was wrong when we saw dead chickens in the Water".

They saw dead chickens in the water and they still went in? :confused:

Eww...

We went to Las Ropas beach last year. It's a $5 taxi. Only walked in water after seeing a long brown snake slither into the water. This year we ferried to Las Gatos. They want you to buy lunch but we got 2 chaises for $5 and beer and cokes were $1.50. The water was warm clear and nice but I'd bring those water shoes for the kids as there were some rocks. We are very careful to keep our faces out of the water but I don't know if kids would do that. We love Zih and the people are gentle

*lol* Vicky! I KNOW! Hmmmm I don't know about that.

Vicky? it is great to see a countdown in your signature now. YAY! I only wish I could add that same countdown to mine. :(

SERIOUSLY!!! I want to know about this snake! I knew there were sea snakes at the bottom of the ocean....but at the shore! EWWWW!!!!!

I wish this countdown was on yours Kim!!! I was really wanting you to go! :(

Archived