Question

lawyerrose

The last few cruises I've booked with online agencies. Got the prices, but then actually called them instead of booking strickly online. Spoke to whomever answered. I've been satisfied as to the price, but the "service" is definitely lacking. It took me months, for instance, to get a brochure for a cruise I booked. Several other things came up and I've found it difficult to get my booking agent or resolve issues when I do. Sooooo, I'm thinking maybe a local agent, where I could actually sit down face-to-face and plan a cruise, might be better. But I'm wondering if I'll pay a lot more for that personal touch. I remember that my Mom used to have a local agent who used to find her terrific deals on cruises. What are your experiences? Do you use local agents? Are they as cheap or cheaper than the consolidators and/or big online cruise dealers? Are they worth it? Do I have to keep doing the online thing to get the best deals? I'm really not sure what way to go on this. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Rose

After having considerable problems on a non-cruise trip booked several years ago with a well-known on-line agency, and having considerable difficulty communicating with them, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle whatever the savings might be.

Three out of our four HAL cruises so far, and our upcoming two cruises, were all booked through local agents. One HAL cruise we booked directly with a HAL travel consultant (on the phone) because we knew exactly what we wanted in every detail before we called him, and didn't need any face-to-face consultation.

As long as I can get a price that I believe is fair from a local agent, I don't care what I could have gotten it for elsewhere! :D

I have had just the opisite problem. I get nothing but communication from the company I booked on line with. I get at least one emaila week asking about t my booked cruise and about potential future crusies. So what is better almost no respons or responses all the time. What a kanundrum.:rolleyes:

I wll give you my take on this.

I have booked 7 cruises. My first was booked by my sister throught a b&m ta. I had no interaction there.

When we went on our second, I had to book my (group) cruise thru a particular agency. The group was educational, and their price for non participants was rather high. I booked my mother and sister direct with HAL at what I felt was a reasonable price.

Since I was ok with the price and service, the next for myself only was booked direct again, but I ended up with a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC). I had an easy time talking and dealing with her and repeated for my fourth. Great service and price was good. I ended up booking two more with the PCC.

Next I was working with a friend that had been on several cruises on different lines and was very satisfied with the TA she used. I tried using that TA for two cruises, one with air, and a separate flight. Service was just ok. While she did book the cruise and flights, her response for most requests was find what I wanted and she would book it for me.

I am now back with the PCC, and the price is very similar. I have had better luck dealing direct with HAL.

I guess my bottom line is that everyones experience will be different. A particular TA, be it b&m, online or direct may be great to one person and bad to another. Try one, if you like them, stay with them. If not, keep trying until you find one you like.

We used a local TA--one that I had done some website consulting for--and found that despite knowing people at the firm, that we got no service whatsoever. We had to call and ask where our travel documents folder was; the agent said it was waiting for us to come in and pick it up. Sheesh.

Then we started just booking through HAL since we knew what we wanted; no problems there except if there was a question, the wait on hold can be very long and often you don't talk to the same person again.

So for our last cruise (Noordam, last month) we decided to try an online (but they also work via phone with you) group that I'd been getting e-letters, at my request, from. Here we have an agent with a name; he's given us his cellphone number as well as the company number. Price was the same as the one quoted by HAL but the TA offered some onboard credit which brought the price down a bit. Before the cruise the agent called or e-mailed to make sure we had received the travel packet, then to ask if we'd had any problems with the online registration, and the day before we left, to see if we needed anything. Two bottles of liquid <G> gifts were waiting in the cabin when we boarded, there were additional goodies delivered to the cabin two more times and we were e-mailed upon our arrival home to make sure everything had gone ok.

We will be using this agent again. I can supply info; I'm marney at wilde.org.

Archived