Kona Car Rentals -- Watch out for roaches!

IMCSICK

We did not rent a car while in Kona but had some friends that did. They rented from Alamo. Their daughter started screaming in the backseat because there were roaches in the car. They returned it to Alamo and complained about the bugs. The guy at the Alamo counter pointed to a large group of cars and said they were all infested and had to be bug-bombed!

They were on the Big Island from 3/39 to 4/05. Rented from the airport location. I would be really surprised if all the cars had the same problem, but the Alamo rep. acted like it was something they had to do on a regular basis.

Unfortunately, roaches and other creepy crawlies are a fact of life over here. Most tourists do not see much of this, as the resorts, etc. are sprayed and treated constantly. But, the bugs have lived on the islands a lot longer than any of us and they are not going away anytime soon!!

I try not to eat or leave food in my car, but we still find a roach now and then. We have also had rental cars with roaches...and one time we had a rental that reeked of bug spray...and it was SO bad we had to return it for another car. I would rather have the bugs than the smell!!

I guess luck of the draw--we were there 3/28 - 4/5, Alamo rental, airport location. No roaches, no smell. In fact, we only saw one roach the entire week and even commented on it, as my most memorable memory of Kona 29+ years ago was all the big cockroaches--it was the first time I'd ever seen one.

Archived