Making changes to air and additioanl charges

mkslice

We are booked on the Jewel on 9/26 from Athens to Istanbul. We decided we would like to fly in early and called to see about changing air arrangements and adding a pre stay hotel.

(We booked this cruise while we were on the Star in Alaska and got a GREAT deal!)

They wanted to increase our airfare $500 s person for making a change. NCL has not even book the air for our cruise yet.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around a rate change?

The airfare we booked is well below what the market price for air fare. The additional $500 puts it over for what I can book it at.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Kathy

We are booked on the Jewel on 9/26 from Athens to Istanbul. We decided we would like to fly in early and called to see about changing air arrangements and adding a pre stay hotel.

(We booked this cruise while we were on the Star in Alaska and got a GREAT deal!)

They wanted to increase our airfare $500 s person for making a change. NCL has not even book the air for our cruise yet.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around a rate change?

The airfare we booked is well below what the market price for air fare. The additional $500 puts it over for what I can book it at.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Kathy

Please read my description of cruise air. It will explain why NCL wants the additional money.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Book your own air AND hotel unless you have made final payment. You will be far happier and have extra money in your pocket. When the cruise lines book a hotel, they book it on a per person rate. Usually about twice what the going rate is.

ALWAYS check the cruiseline air.........it is not 100% that it will be a higher rate. On two of our last 6 cruises, cruiseline air was cheaper than what we could book on our own........$300 roundtrip to Hawaii and $99 roundtrip to Houston could not be beat by the airlines.

While I agree 90% of the time you can book cheaper on your own.......cruiselines will do an occassional air promo in conjunction with a cruise........

Always check the cruiseline air.........

But even though the cruise line may be offering a cheaper air fare, the routing may be one that leaves much to be deisred. An early departure, transferring through out-of-the way airports, long lay-overs, etc. etc.

Sometimes the money saved is not worth the aggrivation and additional stress of travel. Unless the cost differential is significant, I'd always book my own air since I will be fully in control of my itinerary.

Well in the case of our Hawaii flight........it was non stop from Dallas at 10 in the morning:rolleyes: ..........

I'm just saying always check.........it takes so little time and every once in awhile you might be surprised to find a deal with the cruiseline.

And with air deviation (if applicable)........you still have your own control.

Don't get me wrong..........I agree 100% that MOST of the time booking your own is the way to go..........but I always check:)

Everyone, REREAD the OP.

They have booked cruise air. NOW they want to change it to arrive a day early-therefore, air deviation. The cruise line evidently has sold out of "cheap" deviation tickets (that's why I posted read my air deviation post).

The cruise line wants additional money, to which it is rightly entitled. And the OP was going to let the cruise line book the hotel, which is ALWAYS double the price.

With this scenario, the OP really has no choices except to book their own.

Archived