The Best of Costa Maya

smiling1

gliss-were there any tables with umbrellas or some sort of shade when you get too much sun?

Bob

We had a table set up w/ I believe 6-8 chairs and I believe there was an umbrella or maybe even shade. We set at the table right behind the massage tent area & Charlie placed lounge chairs down by the beach for us so we could go back & forth.

Too much sun wasn't an issue. We just had a blast there & Charlie really took care of us & did everything to make us happy. The food we ordered was good too. Chicken Tacos. We went to one of the shops he recommended & got some good deals on silver too. Have a great time.:D

Wow!!! Fantastic photos!!! I, too, have one as my screensaver!

Thanks so much to all for the info on this port...we are really looking forward to it... sounds like a great time!:D

I have a tip for you if you are planning to do a snorkeling trip in Costa Maya. DO NOT book at the port. When you first get off the ship there are all kinds of companies trying to get you to book excursions. When you get to the beach you can book the same trips for a fraction of the price!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the wonderful information!!

We will be traveling to costa Maya soon with our girls (ages 14, 12, and 6) and have been trying to figure out what to do.

I'm thinking we'll choose one of these places and just enjoy the beach!

We were on RCCL June17-24 and after reading on CC about all the various places, my DD (22) & I (old!!) decided to just take the bus into Mahahual and see which place we found first. We were barely around the corner onto the "main" street when a young man approached us to come to their establishment and use their chairs. When we looked at his shirt, he was from Oxtankah (which is one of the many recommended places). His name was Manuel and he set us up in 2 nice lounge chairs with 3" pads and the front legs IN the edge of the ocean!!! He brought us a bucket of 6 beers - $10 and couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. We were wading in th water later in the day with our beers and the first thing we knew, here he was with two ice cold ones from out bucket on the beach and took our empties back. Mind you, he was fully dressed and we were in water more than waist deep!! Later he also brought us out an inflated raft to float on in the water.

We also had massages there. They were $20/ 50 min. and were as good as any massage that I've paid $100 for.

When it was time to leave - about 4 hours later, I asked how much we owed -- $10 for the beers. That was it. Needless to say, he got a big tip. I couldn't recommend this place more. I have their card and plan to return. They have three rooms in their "hotel" that rent for $80 for 2 people and I understand they can't do enough for you there either.

IMG_1100.jpg.a729e064e54943966788a515f5fe5103.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg.9a73e4f2b0f55be4808a632d7c2b668f.jpg

$10 bucket of beers sounds great. Do they have regular beers like bud light or will it be mexican beer?

We had Pacifico as we like it!! So, I don't know what other brands they have. Try to Mexican beers -- you know "when in Rome . . . " . We always try to at least try the local beers. In Roatan, Honduras, we had Salva Vida and it was very good. Enjoy your trip -- go to Oxtankah and ask for Manuel.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Costa Maya in August with 2 children, ages 9 & 12. After reading many posts, I am not sure which beach would be best for them to play in the water & for us to relax in the sun. We will not be arriving to port until noon, so I am also concerned about crowding at the beaches in the afternoons.

Are there any other things not to be missed with children of these ages?

Thanks for all the wonderful tips.

Rhonda

Archived