Hotel Recommendation for Anchorage

sea scaper

"Reasonable price" is a relative term. :)

We're staying at the Anchorage Grand Hotel on Second Avenue in July. Our rate, which includes a "AAA" discount is $189/night for a queen suite. The hotel sits on a hilltop overlooking the train depot--just a quick cab ride for the early morning departure.

Here is a link to another thread on the CC boards discussing Anchorage hotel properties--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=483478

Good luck!

Eileen

How are you getting from Anchorage to your ship?

I would only bid on priceline if:

1) you have a backup booked that you can use in case you never get accepted by priceline

2) you figure in the cost of getting from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to wherever you get your transportation to your ship.

That could add $50-$75 in taxi costs to your priceline bid since you are not guaranteed an airport shuttle for a hotel you might win using priceline. Priceline's zone for Anchorage is huge - the entire city from the airport to downtown to further north and east.

Other options - check hotwire. Their Anchorage map is split into three zones. They will tell you the area of the city (zone) and the price but not the name of the hotel. The big benefit here is that they will also tell you if the hotel has an airport shuttle. I used hotwire for three hotel nights this coming summer for this reason. I booked months ago when the rates were cheaper.

In looking at conventional rates, check various websites. I know the Ramada on Muldoon Avenue has had good rates in the past. I stayed there last summer for a night.

How are you getting from Anchorage to your ship?

I would only bid on priceline if:

1) you have a backup booked that you can use in case you never get accepted by priceline

2) you figure in the cost of getting from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to wherever you get your transportation to your ship.

That could add $50-$75 in taxi costs to your priceline bid since you are not guaranteed an airport shuttle for a hotel you might win using priceline. Priceline's zone for Anchorage is huge - the entire city from the airport to downtown to further north and east.

Other options - check hotwire. Their Anchorage map is split into three zones. They will tell you the area of the city (zone) and the price but not the name of the hotel. The big benefit here is that they will also tell you if the hotel has an airport shuttle. I used hotwire for three hotel nights this coming summer for this reason. I booked months ago when the rates were cheaper.

In looking at conventional rates, check various websites. I know the Ramada on Muldoon Avenue has had good rates in the past. I stayed there last summer for a night.

Before you bid..

You can always take a look under the landmarks tab to see which are closest to the airport.

Take a look at the hotel websites to see if they offer a shuttle.

While the website may cover a huge area, there are not tons of hotels to choose from. I believe all of the 2 star are less than 4 miles away from the airport. There are only 2-3 3 star hotels which should be quick to look on each website.

Also, if priceline doesn't accept the 1st bid you can always make another bid 1 day later.

You can also use priceline to get the rate they offer.

Archived