What can I shop for in Bahamas?

beaming90

We will be spending one day in Freeport and one day in Nassau, we want to do the Glass Bottom Boat in Freeport and the Dolphin Experience in Nassau, and then we want to shop. But all anyone ever talks about is the straw market and the hair braiding. What is in the straw market besides hats? And what else is there to shop for? Thanks everyone!

:rolleyes:

The straw market has everything in the world - yep, including hats!:D I love browsing, bargaining, and just being in with all the locals. It's always been a fun experience to me. Then there is always the little al fresco restaurants to sit and sip a cool beverage, or have a meal. Make sure you try the conch - it's served so many different ways in the Bahamas.

This is only my opinion, but I did not like the Glass Bottom boat excursion in Freeport. The glass was filthy. They take you out to a 150 foot freighter that was sunk to provide a natural reef. We could see a dark image in the water, but could not make out that it was a ship. They stop and throw some bread crumbs in the water and dozens and dozens of fish show up. They are trained well! And that is about it. Oh, forgot, you get to see some rich guys house up on this hill!

So, again this is my opinion. There may be people that loved the excursion!

Nassau is one of my favorite ports.........

and shopping is my favorite thing to do there......and it is not at the straw market.....sorry folks........

Solomans Mines is heaven........there are several on main street....but my favorite is the one that appears to have expaned as each store next to it closed....

1st is the watch store........next is designer stuff....farragamo, hermes, burburry......then the china, crystal,.....glass...pewter ...silver....then there is perfume......and finally jewelry......

there are several other locations on down the street....

also on main street as you get closer to the british colonial hilton is a wonderful jewelry store that sells estate peices

don't just limit yourself to the straw market........

hope this helps......trish

Archived