Any Gastric Bypass Cruisers?

PammyHound

Pammy,

Except I only see my terrors (read boys) once day and sometimes not at all if they are at Grandmas.. I miss them terribly. But yes, to answer your question it is wonderful to have my Gene close by. He takes me for wheelchair rides at lunch (it is MUCH easier than doing it with the kids, who my doctor lovingly call the "goat rodeo") and brings me snacks (cause the food here is not exactly what I would call "edible").

Even the cheesecake on RCI Ships, which I don't like at all, sounds beter than anything here... That would be a good weight loss technique... eat hospital food for a month. I'm pregnant and have lost 2 lbs : )

I can't wait to get out of here and start walking every day again. Then running.. and get this baby weight off. Hope my new little one likes his jogging stroller.

Nancy~ WOW... a marathon! What an accomplishment! I can NEVER imagine being to the point where I could run a marathon much less run the 1/4 mile to the end of my street! Way to go! Hope you are back on your feet quickly after your baby is born so you can make the next marathon!

How much weight did you lose with your gastric bypass and how long did it take? My friend had it done 3 months ago and loves to hear all the success stories out there. I'll have to tell her that she could be running a marathon!

Take care of yourself and that little one. (You KNOW that it's a boy again?)

Jean

Jean..

Well I was 320 before the by-pass. My lowest weight was 150 and that's when *IT* happened and I got pregnant with my one year old.. Figured I would NEVER get pregnant again, then along came this little monster in my tummy.

I am not going to run a marathon now till next October, Chicago Marathon (it's flat and there is no time limit, very important).. I expect to finish in 5 hours.. which is slow but I am not going to win or even come close.. I am never the last one over the finish line but I am NOT ashamed to be one of the last.. not at all..

I was actually in the February 2003 edition of Runner's World (with a pic the day I got preggers with my last one.. they only go to Grandmas every now and then).. I don't run cause I like it.. I run cause I don't have alot of free time and I cannot burn as many calories walking in my allotted exercise time. I also like to get the boring stuff over with and running is boring!! ; )

Yep this is, ONCE AGAIN, a boy... boy number 5 (we lost one who came early)... so I will have FOUR boys.. I was so hoping this one was a girl but honestly after the older three I am not sure what I would do with a girl.

I know my gastric by-pass saved my life.. It was a last ditch effort and I still struggle every day with my weight but just to be able to chase my kids.. to play with them.. to crawl on the floor with them.. well it was worth it.. I don't think it is the answer for everyone and anyone who thinks it is the easy way out is fooling themselves.. but for some people it is a lifesaver...

• 2 weeks later...

Nliedel-

Bleh! I detest being in the hospital. When I was 19 I spent about 10 weeks there myself for complications of crohn's. Came out at 86 pounds. Hard to believe it now but they told me I'd never be able to gain much weight and I should eat as much as possible. :D I'd like to slap that doctor!

I'm also working on child number 4, though by adoption. We have 2 girls and will have 2 boys ages 9 and down. Yes, it is a bit crazy around here. The paperwork is driving me crazy and we just found out that we have to take the pre-adopt class again. I'm so annoyed. Not only is this number 4 but we were also foster parents. Sometimes I think I've taken more parent training than the people teaching the class!

Good luck on your marathon! I used to run halfs and I'm starting to run again. I was pretty psyched the other day when I did 1/2 a mile straight. Not bad considering I'm still over 200 pounds. :eek: Not for long though. We have new baby pictures coming up and I want to look much thinner in them.

Well, I'll go back to lurking now. My friend is still talking about having hers in July next year so I'm still helping her gather information. As for now I'm off to camp for the next 4 days.

Tami

Adoptmom,

We plan to adopt again, in a couple years.. older this time. I am out of the hospital now, btw, yesterday.. I have not looked at myself in a full length mirror till this morning, in weeks. First I laughed, then I cried.. I am so darn tired from bedrest that I cannot walk further than the boys busstop!! Oh well, a little at a time one day at a time.. at least I am with my dog again :) Oh and no baby yet, but if not by next week then we are going to induce because of all my complications. Hopefully a week from today a healthy, but smallish, JJ will be in my arms and I can start planning another cruise (my husband totally owes me a trip after this pregnancy!!)

Hi y'all--just wanted to let you know that my insurance company approved the surgery, so the next step is pre-op with the surgeon! I don't know whether I'm thrilled or scared witless... (or both!)

Chris

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting! When I got my news that it had FINALLY been approved, i didn't know whether to laugh or cry so I did both!

Pammy,

Congrats on the 3 pound loss. Hang in there. I lost 5 pounds last week. Tomorrow is weighin and I don't think I want to see what the scale has to say.

Chris,

Congrats of your approval. It is normal to be scared and happy at the same time. I was scared to death. Didn't sleep at all the night before surgery. Of course it didn't help any that I had to be at the hospital at 5:00am and the hospital was an hours drive. Too bad you can't do what I did the week before surgery. My surgery just happened to get scheduled a few days after we got back from our cruise last December. It was nice taking my mind off my upcoming surgery and what a better way than going to the Carribean.

Nliedel,

Take it easy and hang in there. That baby will be here before you know it.

Sue

Too bad you can't do what I did the week before surgery. My surgery just happened to get scheduled a few days after we got back from our cruise last December. It was nice taking my mind off my upcoming surgery and what a better way than going to the Carribean.

Sue

Now THIS I could enjoy... :D

Chris

Adoptmom,

We plan to adopt again, in a couple years.. older this time. I am out of the hospital now, btw, yesterday.. I have not looked at myself in a full length mirror till this morning, in weeks. First I laughed, then I cried.. I am so darn tired from bedrest that I cannot walk further than the boys busstop!! Oh well, a little at a time one day at a time.. at least I am with my dog again :) Oh and no baby yet, but if not by next week then we are going to induce because of all my complications. Hopefully a week from today a healthy, but smallish, JJ will be in my arms and I can start planning another cruise (my husband totally owes me a trip after this pregnancy!!)

Glad to hear that you are out. I don't care how nice the hospital is they aren't home. Keep us posted on your little one.

Tami

i am looking into the lap band( well M.D. is) I will be making a decision in dec. Im leaving on this cruise in less than 2 weeks and my kid said dont you wish you were skinny for this cruise. ;) I wish!!. I will be doing this because of my health, looking good again wont be too bad either:D . I will be having mine done in boston and was wondering how long is the stay in the hospital, and recoop? I cant afford to take too much time off seeing I am a foster mother of 3 and 1 son of my own and believe me they will be lost if its a long recovery. The band sounds good because its reversable.

Caregiver,

I can't answer how long you will be in the Hospital for the type of surgery you are thinking of because they have just started doing that type here just a couple of months ago. I had the Lap RNY and I must say it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I was in the hospital 2 days for my surgery. The normal recovery time for RNY is anywhere from 3 weeks to several months. I had complications so I was out of work 2 months. Have you gone to http://WWW.Obesityhelp.com. That is a wonderful website and might be able to help with any questions you might have. I still look at that website at least a couple of times a week and I am 9 months postop. Good luck in your decision. If you have any questions that I can help with let me know.

Sue

Chris YOU WERE APPROVED!!! HOW FANTASTIC IS THAT??? Good for you. I know what a tough decision it is and when you finally make it it is hard to sit around and wait for approval!!!! I am so happy for you.

Sorry for not posting updates I have been busy with the NICU and getting things in order at home again.. and trying to walk normally.. I have felt off kilter since I had the baby ; )

I am fine.. JJ is doing well and only needs to take all his food from breast or bottle before coming home. He is taking three bottles a day (sigh, wish he would take it from the tap, but preemies don't always do that) and is growing, finally...

Pictures can be found at liedel.org (this is my husbands site and I am somewhat embarrassed because it is not done). DO NOT look at me.. especially as an example of someone with a gastric by-pass. I just had a baby and look FAT!!! I am working on it, walking every day : ) and have dropped 15lbs from the day I gave birth (yes some of that was baby).. We post new pics on Mondays, so an update tomorrow.

Nliedel-

Yay! Glad to hear everything went well and he is here. Hopefully you'll get him home soon and then you can work on breast feeding on your schedule, not the hospital's. I'll check out your pictures tomorrow. How big was he? I always try to get a feel for how little my oldest daughter was because she weighed 3 pounds 12 ounces at birth. We didn't get to see her though until she was 6 months and weighed 10 pounds.

Congratulations! I am so ready to have a new baby in our house that I can hardly stand it. But, as you know, with adoption there's always one more form to fill out. :rolleyes: We're getting there and hope to be added into the program's list by January.

Tami

Well I'm back from the cruise and as I expected, I had no problems at all with meals. I nibbled on everything and ate slowly. I honestly didn't feel out of place during dinner and the servers never commented on how little I ate. It was a GREAT cruise!!!

Hey Pammy! Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We have been waiting to hear all about it. Did you do a review? Did you gain/lose any weight? I leave tomorrow for Orlando. We are going on the Sovereign Monday for a little get-together with an old friend, her son is getting married at Disney World. I tried to lose a couple of pounds as "insurance" but no luck. Pray for me that I don't gain! I am right where I want to be, don't want to start going in the other direction. Have a great day! Sheryl

Archived