hideaway speed boat

LESTRELA

My DW, DD and I did this excursion this past April. It is something we would definitly do again. After the safety talk (10 -15 minutes) you get in your own 2 person boat. The guides ask you to form a line, but you are allowed some freedom. They don't want anyone racing side by side, but if the boat in front of you is too slow for your liking, it's no problem for you to pass them. You do have the freedom to ride in the wake of the boat in front, ride outside his wake and play with the waves, or go back and forth.

It is about a 45 minute ride to the beach area. There was a nice buffet lunch available, along with a nice quiet sandy beach with beach umbrellas.After about an hour on the beach, it is time to head back for another 45 - 50 boat ride.

It was a pricy excursion, but when you think that a jet ski can run $65 for 30 minutes, we felt is was worth our money. DW, DD, and I agree that is one of the best excusions we have ever done.

If you decide to do it, I hope you have as much fun as we did.

WILL I BE ABLE TO BRING MY CAMPCOTOR WITH ME IS THERE AND PART OF THE SPEED BOAT THE I CAN, PUT THAT KIND OF STUFF IN. Like also my digital camera! I dont want to bring it if it is going to be ruined!!!!

please let me know...

cruising on the mariner on 8/29 less then a week to go!!!!!

There is a compartment behind the seat with a latching lid where you can stow some items, I put my backpack back there. My stuff "seemed" to stay dry, but I didn't have anything that water could ruin. I don't think I would be comfortable with taking my camera with me.

We are traveling with a group in April 2005... a mixed age thing is this the type of thing we can send our 18-19 y/o on and feel that they are safe? We would like for them to do somethings they like and maybe on their own.

Granduer 1999

CCL Victory 2001

CCL Triumph 2003

Explorer 2005

quiltsnh - I would think the 18 - 19 yo's would be fine. The fact that there is no alcohol available keeps things from getting too out of control. I know for a fact I would have loved to do this when I was 18.

rox6983 - you can go as fast or as slow as you like. The boats are capable of going just over 20mph. The people that like to go fast go to the front, those that are not as comfortable goinig fast just drop to the back of the line.

• 6 months later...

Just to add some more info on this tour...here is a copy of the short tour description I did a couple of weeks ago for the cruise lines. Hope this helps! This tour is a blast.

<Hideaway Powerboat & Beach Escape

Experience Cozumel’s most exciting tour…high impact, high adrenaline…something out of the ordinary! Get behind the wheel of your shared 2-person speedboat as you head through the waves of the island’s north side. You will be greeted at the pier by your bi-lingual guide and then it is just a short ride to a local beach and your awaiting speed boat. Receive your safety equipment, orientation on the boats, then take the wheel and head out through the blue sea. You will drive your boat past sugar white beaches, hidden lagoons and local wildlife to the secluded beach where a Mexican grilled buffet lunch is waiting. Bask in the sun, swim in the ocean, explore the beach, join in a friendly game of volleyball or just relax under your beach umbrella.

Included are 2 complimentary soft drinks or water along with the buffet of seasonal fresh fruits, chicken fajitas, quesadillas, chips with salsa, and nachos with cheese and round trip transportation via taxi or van. Sun protection, swimsuits, towels, water shoes and bug spray are advised to bring along. Special note: minimum age for participation is 6 yrs old, 18 yrs to operate the boat, a maximum of 650lbs per boat, no pregnant women allowed and those with neck/back problems are highly recommended not to do this tour.>

Hi,

I was just looking at this excursion when we are in Cozumel in Apr on the NOS. We did a tour in St Martin last year on Rhino Riders and we had a blast! Are these boats similar to the Rhinos? Are they pretty stable? I can not handle a jet ski but I could do the Rhinos with no problem.

Another question... One of the posts listed the minimum age as 6 but RCCL has the minimum as 12. My son is 11 so I was wondering if the age is set by the tour company or the ship??

Thanks!

Just got back and I have to say it was a blast!!! The water was gorgeous. We were just behind the tour guide and went as fast as the boat would allow us. The only thing is the salt water burns yours eyes a bit but who cares when you are having so much fun! As far a picture goes I went on the Carnival Elation and it looks exactly as it does in the pic.

Archived