Hale Koa Luau

rhays01

We'll be staying at the Hale Koa the night before our cruise (4/21) and then for 3 nights after we return from the cruise (4/29)...has anyone attended the luau at the Hale Koa? If so, what was your impression? Thanks!

rhays01

We'll be staying at the Hale Koa the night before our cruise (4/21) and then for 3 nights after we return from the cruise (4/29)...has anyone attended the luau at the Hale Koa? If so, what was your impression? Thanks!

rhays01

I dont normally chime in now that I moved away from Hawaii but this is one I can answer. The food at the HK luau (and the hotel) is spectacular. Unlike the other luaus, the food is prepared onsite and is served to you directly...no buffet or family style. The table service is also with fine plates, silver, glassware and presentation. The drinks are not watered down in the least either. Also, even the the number of people there, it feels more like a large wedding than a stadium game. We were in the back and still felt close.

Pre-show is very leisurely as there is simply the photo ops and the small trio playing on the lawn. Its nice to sip your mai tai while watching them. It was very pleasent.

The performers are adept at what they do. The show is standard with the different dances from different islands.

The problem I have with the show was Glen Medieros as the MC. I have heard so many good things about him but me, my family and close friends who have gone disliked him. My husband and I are musicians and have a good understanding of the art of performance. Glen seemed to bring the show down every time he was out there...there was no good flow. The show was a lot about HIM and little about polynesia. Let me give an example. After a number, he comes out, talks about himself, gives a little (LONG) story about what he did when he was 16 and living in Hawaii, sings one of his old tunes (remember he had that one hit when he was about 16 years old?) and then gives an extremely short and unfulfilling intro to the next number. Then a 2 minute hula, and back to Glen.

There is that pesky salute to the military at the end too...which seems to be at every show where military members are a strong presence. Its at the end so you can leave when it starts and you wont miss much more.

So overall, the food is great, the entertainment is lovely, the site itself is warm and pleasent...I hope Mr Medieros was having a bad night that night or he isnt there anymore. Again entertainment is a very personal thing. But having been there, done that, my husband and I will notice things that perhaps someone else wouldnt. And remember that we werent on vacation either...since we lived there and we were bringing guests to the luau.

It was also REALLY nice to be able to walk the beach before and after the luau, not worry about drunk drivers, and stroll through the gardens without being pushed out the door at the end of the luau. The feel was much more relaxed than touristy rush rush for sure...I liked that quite a lot.

Go -- it's one of the better ones available and is reasonably priced! :)

On a side note, we were just at the Hale Koa about a week ago and for the first time felt the hotel was really starting to show it's age...upon check-out I found out they will be renovating the Maile Tower (one floor at a time). This is excellent news as this hotel has always been one of the greatest benefits for people with military benefits.

Also, be sure and hit the MWR ITT office at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange as we were able to get substantial discounts on some of the same excursions offered through NCL (ex: Atlantis Submarine for $27 instead of $99!). If you email them they will send you a current pricelist of what's available.

I was stationed at Ft. DeRussy when the R&R center was there in the sixties before the Hale Koa was there. I am really interested in visiting it form the prespcetive of having lived there. I know that the only building left is the base chapel, where I was married, (I have been there since in the last few

years) and the Battery where the 25th Museum is located.

My question is, Will they allow non military in the door to look at the facility. Also, someone on one of the threads said anyone could go into the bar area and does that mean anyone can attend the Luau that you all are talking about.

Thanks in advance for your help!

As long as there are no increased threats, you can walk the grounds of the HK and sit at the bar or snack bar in the daytime without being carded. However, you can be carded at anytime as everytime we have been to the bar at night we have been carded. You cannot use the pool, shop, or other facilities without an ID.

Just as an example, when we first moved to HI, we were carded every time at the Hale Koa...even walking the grounds....about 6 months later, restrictions were eased on the grounds but you still needed ID to go inside. The "in the door" thing you mentioned...well, the reception desk and beach level of the hotel are outdoors so you wont really be going in any doors. You wont be able to buy tickets for the Luau, other shows or any of the indoor restaurants. The grounds are lovely though.

Just to add to IMCSICK's post, hickam services has a pricelist of MWR activities and discounts. http://www.hickamservices.com/itt-price-list.asp

and if you golf at all, you have to go to Hickam since Mamala Bay is the best bargain in town....or Pearl Harbor has just been renovated for a little easier golf day....plus many courses give huge discounts.

Suebee...thanks for the info on the luau! I believe we'll do this one...I know the price seemed really good...and I suppose you can't beat a walk along the beach afterwards. Do you pay for your drinks separately from the cost of the luau? They aren't included, are they? I am so excited to be staying at the Hale Koa, I have heard it's a little tired these days, but you sure can't be the price! How bad can it be...you're on Waikiki Beach in Hawaii! There can't be ANYTHING wrong with that! :D

We fly to Honolulu Apr 21...and leave on the Pride of Aloha Apr 22...WOO HOO!

Thank you to everyone on this board for all the good information! (Now if I can only decide on a limo company for our ride from the airport!)

rhays01

What is the email address of the MWR ITT? the sight for the discounts???Thanks.

The link in my post above for Hickam will have prices attached to all of the activities....and for the most part the same events are offered between MWR and ITT. You do not have to be Air Force to go to the Navy's ticket office etc.

I'll have to chime in and say that while I've never been to the luau at the Hale Koa, I have had their international buffet. It was very good! The grounds are beautiful as well. And since you need to have military benefits to use the facility, the place tends to be less crowded. If you've ever seen the lack of real estate on Waikiki beach, you'll know what I mean. Enjoy your time there!

Archived