Question re: Regal balconies

Ready to Sail!

On the Princess website I just read the following under their description of balcony cabins. "Teak-capped steel bulkhead of the same height replaces balcony railing on Baja deck catagories BB-BF."

We are booked in a Baja catagory BD so this applies to us but I really don't understand what they are saying. In all the pictures I have seen it looks like all the balconies on this deck are the open type, meaning not solid. I always thought the bulkhead refered to the partition between balconies but I don't think this is what they are talking about.

Can anyone help clarify this for me. Thank you.

Carol

I think there might be some confusion – yes, on Princess’ own website – between Regal Princess and old Crown Princess. The latter ship had steel bulkheads with teak railings on the Baja deck balconies. This was changed for Regal Princess where the bulkheads were replaced with regular railings.

The blaconies on the Regal are like a window in a house the "window" is about 3 to four feet above the steel shell of the ship. They are not glass walled like Grand Class ships. You do have a floor to ceiling door and wall in your cabin.

If you are still confused perhaps a picture and words will help. On the Princess home page click on ships..then under Explorer Class click Regal...then click on Staterooms...then on the scroll down menu click on Ocean View With Balcony.(This is probably where you got the description you are questioning) You should see a picture of the stateroom with a man standing on the balcony. As BDJAM pointed out they have the wrong information printed next to the picture. On the Baja deck of the Crown Princess the outside wall of the balcony came up to the mans waist and then had a Teak cap on it. On the Baja deck of the Regal Princess the solid part of the outside wall of the balcony only comes up about a foot, then a couple of steel bars about 10 inches apart and then it has a steel bar topped with a teak railing. The picture that they show is basically correct...it may be a picture of the Aloha deck balconies which have a slightly larger cutout in the outside solid wall. This was definitely an improvement over the Crown because it allows you to look out at the water while sitting on your bed.

One other note, the doors to the balcony open to the outside instead of sliding to the side like most of the other Princess ships. If you wish to have the door open at night you will need to prop the door open with a shoe or something like it (the shoe may be wet in the morning) or use a bungee cord.

I sure hope that this helped rather than adding to the confusion.

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I got the info from the Princess website and obviously the picture and the words contradict each other. Glad to know the picture is correct as the ship is pretty well full and there was no where to move to. I did panic as I know we wouldn't be happy with a solid wall. Now we can relax again and get back to counting the days until December. Gee, wouldn't you think Princess could do a little better at keeping information on the site correct?

Archived