Triumph(4-7-07)Sewer smell+kids gone wild.

islahopper

An elderly man once told me that he moved to Florida for the peace and quiet. He didn't want to be around kids or dogs. Yes, he expected that the whole state had to accommodate him, simply because he moved there. I wonder if people have that attitude when they cruise? Yes, parents need to set guidelines, too.

A cruise during Spring Break is going to be a busy kid cruise. Why not go during other times during the year? Carnival is a family friendly cruise line.

It's a bummer being carded. I constantly get asked for ID when asking for the Senior Citizen discount. :D

I keep telling my husband I look forward to 55 so I can those AARP discounts!!

Security is the only ones that can enforce the rules. Unless it is a safety issue. So when you go to Disney do you expect the character or service people to correct the kids??? It all comes back on the parents, but since the kids are acting that way do the parents allow this kind of behavior to go on at home? In a restaurant? the mall??

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, please tell your friends not to give up on cruising. Steer them in the direction of Celebrity or HAL. We also cruised during that same Spring Break week, but we sailed Celebrity. Our kids are grown and we tend to avoid spring break vacations, but my brother and sister were bringing along their spouses and young children. I've been on enough Carnival cruises to know how out of hand they get with kids (just read some of the posters snide remarks on this thread and you won't have to wonder why their kids are so rude) who have no manners. We don't cruise Carnival very frequently anymore (with the exception of next April, and truth be told, we're not totally convinced we'll keep this booking) because security looks the other way and some of the parents are worse than the kids.

I worried we'd encounter some of the same on Celebrity since it was Easter week, but I'm happy to say of all the kids onboard, they were all extremely well-mannered and seem well traveled. In fact, one night we were stepping off an elevator and a group of young teens (approx. 14-15 years old) were waiting to get on when one of the girls started to step onto the elevator before we had all exited. One of the boys pulled her back and told her to "watch your manners, let these people out first before you barge in." I have to say, I was very impressed with the kids on this cruise and kudos to their parents for raising them well. And to the people who had to put up with the out-of-control kids on Carnival during Spring Break, just remember one thing; the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The very same people who are defending their kids behavior probably have manners no better than their children.

We just returned from the 4/8 sailing aboard the Victory. We brought our kids since it was Spring Break. I knew there would be tons of kids because of this. I told my kids several times to be respectful to others, people spent a lot of money for their vacation too and deserved to have a good time. Obviously, many other parents did not tell their kids anything close to this. I was run into so many times by kids playing tag and going wild. Kids were running into the elevator as soon as it would open instead of waiting for people to get out. It was Kids Gone Wild!!!! Not once did I see any Carnival employee enforce any kind of discipline. This didn't ruin my vacation it only made me appreciate my well behaved teenagers that much more!!!!! My advice to people traveling without kids...Do not go on vacation during Spring Break. It doesn't take a scientist to figure that out.

Kimberlyp119...we were docked right behind you on the Legend in Costa Maya on April 10th! I have to agree with you, I knew that there would be plenty of children onboard. However, I had the same expectations that you did in expecting other parents to be responsible for the behaviour of their children. That did not happen. In fact, for many of these kids, the parents weren't even on the same floor as the children and not once did I see the parents come to our deck to check on them. I picked this cruise because it is one of the few times during the year that my daughter is out of school and it was her 12th B-day.

By Day 3 of the kids running rampant, hanging out in the adult pools and using profanity, I began to voice my feelings. I said something to a group that seemed to congregate regularly in the hallway near our cabin. The crowd dispersed and we didn't have a problem with them the remainder of the cruise. After that, I would see kids running and tell them to slow down or to walk. Sometimes they listened, sometimes they didn't but at least I got it off my chest and didn't let it ruin our vacation. We also detected a hint of foul odor on our deck near the forward cabins. It was only when you reached a certain area and it was only two or three cabins. Not sure where the smell originated.

I have to say that security did an excellent job of chasing the kids under 18 off to bed at midnight (they were even in the Solarium where < 16 is not allowed). I applauded them for this and this made our trip much more enjoyable. Will I cruise again during Spring Break? Absolutely. I really think it depends on your tolerance level and how you choose to handle each situation. It's such a shame that some parents feel they can leave all their parenting skills at home when they are on vacation.

Archived