Going off on your own (newbie)

joyluck

My husband and I are going on our first cruise 5/28. We want to go parasailing, but it isn't one of the shore excursions offered on our cruise. We will be in Nassau and Freeport. Do any of you know how to go about booking things on your own ahead of time, or have any advice for going it alone. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I have taken over 20 cruises and have never booked an excursion thru the cruiseline. I always refer to travel books I purchase at Barnes and Noble. I have never had a problem doing things on my own and we have a blast. I've been to Nassau alot, we've done the round trip #10 jitney, Atlantis several times(got a room at Comfort Suites), walking tour, always get cracked conch under the bridge, go to snorklers cove beach and hire a local to take you on his boat to snorkel, the banana boat rides at this beach are a blast, you'll be on it for at least 20 minutes, Andrasta Gardens are nice, Meet the People program-sign up to spend the day with a local, it is free, but customary to bring a gift and/or pay for meals. I never get tired of Nassau and find the locals friendly and hospitable. You will have a great time, buy a book, lots of info. Laura

I have taken over 20 cruises and have never booked an excursion thru the cruiseline. I always refer to travel books I purchase at Barnes and Noble. I have never had a problem doing things on my own and we have a blast. I've been to Nassau alot' date=' we've done the round trip #10 jitney, Atlantis several times(got a room at Comfort Suites), walking tour, always get cracked conch under the bridge, go to snorklers cove beach and hire a local to take you on his boat to snorkel, the banana boat rides at this beach are a blast, you'll be on it for at least 20 minutes, Andrasta Gardens are nice, Meet the People program-sign up to spend the day with a local, it is free, but customary to bring a gift and/or pay for meals. I never get tired of Nassau and find the locals friendly and hospitable. You will have a great time, buy a book, lots of info. Laura[/quote']

Great! Thank you so much for the information! I will make a trip to the bookstore tonight! I just want to do something *I* want to do, and nothing through the cruise line sounds like it! Thank you!!:D

You will be so glad you didn't book anything with the ship. We did our first cruise and felt like we wanted to be "safe". Well, we spent $$ out the wazoo and it really wasn't necessary.

All you need to know to plan yourself is right here on these boards!

We have never again booked thru the cruise (accept a fishing thing for one of my older sons) and we have always had so much fun and saved a lot of money.

Have a great trip!~ It's almost here !!!

For our last cruise we did 4 excursions, one at each stop. I booked all of them myself with private companies rather than going through the cruise ship. I have to say, they were less crowded, less expensive and greater service.

I did all of my research here at Cruise Critics! The opinions of fellow cruisers were right on! We did the best excursions with the best outfits!

I relied greatly on the ports of call forum and the Scuba/Snorkeling forum. Great people there who are willing to share their experiences and give you recommendations!

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Laura,

Where is snorklers cove beach? We went snorkling while on Cable beach with Godfrey to the old lighthouse. He was great and fished with my children. The kids enjoyed it because they are small. I think next time we'd like to be at Athol Island or Rose Island as described in these posts. I'm sure he or another boat owner would take us there.

Archived