Hawaii weather

TimATL

I'm on the Pride of Hawaii departing Honolulu on April 23rd. The weather forecast on weather.com for the ports that we're traveling to does not look too promising. Is this typical of Hawaii this time of year? Does showers translate to mean sunny most of the day with a passing shower here or there, or does it mean showers all day long?

April 23 - Honolulu Showers 30% chance of precip.

April 24 - Hilo - Showers 60% chance of precip.

April 25 - Kahului - Showers / Wind 60% chance of precip.

April 26 - Kahului - Showers / Wind 40% chance of precip.

April 27 - Kona - Showers 60% chance of precip.

April 28 - Lihue - Mostly Sunny 20% chance of precip.

We sailed in mid-March and rain was forecast for every day. We ended up with an afternoon downpour on Hilo for an hour or so, but only a light drizzle in the morning in Kauai. We had glorious days the rest of the time so the forecast isn't always true!

On a previous land vacation in Maui, I recall that we had drizzle almost every day but only for a few minutes or so -- nothing that would ruin a vacation!

We were in Maui and Oahu the first two weeks of March a three years ago. It rained every day in Maui, the weather was horrible. Went to Oahu and the weather was perfect the next week. I understand it get better toward the end of March and April. How much I do not know. :rolleyes:

We've been here for nearly three months, as we are each year at this time (Kona during Feb and Maui during March, April).

Yes, three years ago was absolutely awful, worst and wettest year on record.

However, in our nearly three months this year, we've had only three days of rain ....one in Kona during February and two on Maui back in mid-March. The rest were just passing showers, called 'liquid sunshine' :), just enough to cool things off briefly as they pass by.

At some point on any day, at some point on any island, there will be a shower somewhere.

Don't let that forecast stop you; it's typical wording and a very common one. It's still very warm and you'll dry off quickly!

Archived