Hawaii ships and itinerary question

luv2bnsun

I wonder why the Pride of Aloha is going to be doing the 10 and 11 day sailings when it appears that the Pride of America is a slightly bigger ship with more restaurant choices. Plus it looks like the PofAm has more balcony cabins which would make it more desireable for longer itineraries. Wouldn't it make more sense if the bigger ship with more restaurant choices and more balcony cabins did the longer cruises? :rolleyes:

I wonder why the Pride of Aloha is going to be doing the 10 and 11 day sailings when it appears that the Pride of America is a slightly bigger ship with more restaurant choices. Plus it looks like the PofAm has more balcony cabins which would make it more desireable for longer itineraries. Wouldn't it make more sense if the bigger ship with more restaurant choices and more balcony cabins did the longer cruises? :rolleyes:

Just the opposite - for all the reasons you posted they need a good reason for passengers to select the POAL over the POAM - the longer itinerary is that reason.

I see your point. Still, if you are going to be on a cruise ship 3 or 4 days longer, the extra choices in restaurants would be nice and I would think the longer you are on a ship the more interesting a higher class cabin would be. Oh, well, that's just my opinion.

Just the opposite - for all the reasons you posted they need a good reason for passengers to select the POAL over the POAM - the longer itinerary is that reason.

My good reason for selecting POAL over POAM for the seven day cruise was that it was cheaper ;) . Now it looks even more attractive with the longer cruise -- I bet cruising by Molokai is going to be lovely!

Just the opposite. Check out what all the other cruise lines do.

Usually the larger ships sail weekly cruises, smaller ships sail the longer cruises.

Usually the oldest ships on some cruise lines do the very short 3 to 4 day cruises, but they aren't necessarily the smallest.

The reason why is demand. Demand for week long cruises is more than the longer cruises.

So, the larger ships carry more passengers over a year, being larger and having more cruises.

Smaller ships are large enough to fill the demand for longer cruises.

They also are large enough to fill the demand for shorter cruises.

The key to maximizing profits is matching the size ship with demand.

Archived