Buccaneer Catamaran or Captain Marvins

SWEngr

We would like to do one of the 3 stop snorkel trips and would like peoples opinions on which one is better. - Buccaneer Catamarn through Island Marketing (I think it is Captain Bryan) or Captain Marvin. I was going to do the catamaran since you get to sail too, but some of the responses on here seem to indicate that often they don't sail. Is this just because of the weather (lack or too much wind), or does the catamarn go on engines all the time? We will be going early June - are we likely to have sailing weather or not? Does one have better guides/better experience than the other?

The Buccaneer mostly runs going to the 3 stops with the engine on but on the way back is when they usually do the sailing. It depends on the weather if it permits it to go sailing, but everytime they pull down the sails. :)

My Family went on the 3-stop tour with Captain Brayan's last August but we booked directly through his web site...no need for a middle man. The office is just a short walk from the RC pier and there was time for us to have breakfast and use the free internet at the bakery next door.

We went on the bucaneer and had way less people than on the other ships that were anchored there. We went to the stingrays first and then had two other stops and the very nearby reef. The water was crystal clear at every stop. The first stop was about 3-4 ft. deep and the other two required a decent ability to swim. We had a great time! I honestly can't remember if we used the sails or not on the way back...the rest of the trip just trumpted my memories. We were busy looking at our photos from the onboard photographer to notice!

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Bryans is the best. The other catamarans out at Stingray looked like trolleys on top of Catamaran skis. The Captain was great and the office is a short walk from the pier. Book 2 weeks in advance and get a discount. This was the highlight of our cruise last Nov.

My Family went on the 3-stop tour with Captain Brayan's last August but we booked directly through his web site...no need for a middle man. The office is just a short walk from the RC pier and there was time for us to have breakfast and use the free internet at the bakery next door.

We went on the bucaneer and had way less people than on the other ships that were anchored there. We went to the stingrays first and then had two other stops and the very nearby reef. The water was crystal clear at every stop. The first stop was about 3-4 ft. deep and the other two required a decent ability to swim. We had a great time! I honestly can't remember if we used the sails or not on the way back...the rest of the trip just trumpted my memories. We were busy looking at our photos from the onboard photographer to notice!

Sounds like you had a great time. I am planning on taking my 2 DD's (5 & 7) out on a boat like the Buccaneer and was wondering if you saw other kids participating in the stingray experience or do they keep the kids onboard? I'm hoping the kids get to be a part of it. Did you book the Buccaneer ahead of your trip or when you arrived at the dock?

Any other activities in Grand Cayman that you enjoyed? This is our first visit. Thanks!

If you could provide Capt Bryan's website that would be great. Thanks!

Captain Bryans and The Bucanneer is the same outfit. (the Boats name is the Bucanneer). I see the website shows children. We had no children on our outing and we only had 15 adults. All the other boats were crowded and looked like barges.

We were on this excursion in January - we had 5 -7 kids on the boat. Yes, the kids went in the water. They were also, very good about pointing out interesting things, for the kids, on the snorkeling stops. For example there was a turlte coming toward the boat, while we were in the water, and the employees told the kids that it was coming and where to look for it. IMO, they took a lot of time with the kids - they gave all of their attention to the kids, there were some adults who were having problems, with equiptment, etc., but they made them wait until all of the kids were satisfied. I think it is a wonderful day for kids.

By the way, we used the motor the whole way out, but used the sails coming in. It was a lovely boat ride, with and without the sails. Believe it or not, my Mother had gotten sea sick on the way out, but when they put the sails up, she started feeling better.

We would like to do one of the 3 stop snorkel trips and would like peoples opinions on which one is better. - Buccaneer Catamarn through Island Marketing (I think it is Captain Bryan) or Captain Marvin. I was going to do the catamaran since you get to sail too, but some of the responses on here seem to indicate that often they don't sail. Is this just because of the weather (lack or too much wind), or does the catamarn go on engines all the time? We will be going early June - are we likely to have sailing weather or not? Does one have better guides/better experience than the other?

I don't know about Captain Bryan, but I used Captain Marvins two weeks ago. First, I booked the full-day snorkeling, but there weren't enough people;so they moved us to half-day snorkeling with 3 stops(Coral Gardens, Barrier Reef, and Sting Ray City).

Long story short, I thought Captain Marvins were just okay. Reef was beautiful, but they don't give you enough time. They said we will give you 30 minutes at each stop, but they call you back just after 15 mintues. (I always wear my watch inside and outside of water; so you can trust me on this length of time) Also, I felt there were too many people on the boat. In the beginning, it was only 15 of us from our bus, and I was pretty happy. However, few minutes later, the other bus with 20 + spring-breakers arrived and unloaded people, and they all joined us. As a result, the boat was way crowded. However, the number of people was still less than other sting ray tour boats carry.

My other family members who went on City tour with Captain Marvins told me that they even skipped the Seven Miles Beach which is part of program because the driver didn't think they have enough time. Well.. Just be aware. :)

I just got back from Grand Cayman last week with RCCL. My boyfriend and I went with Capitan Bryan's and will recommned them to ANYONE! Our catamoran (???) would have EASILY held 45-50 people, we had 9!! Which was awesome! Three crew and then the 9 of us, and also there were 3 ships there that day. We were originally booked for the Buccaneer with the 3 stops but chaged to the 2 once we got there. The extra stop is an Aqurium. We went to Sting Ray City and then to a Reef area that you could see from Sting Ray City. The water was great. Now to get out there they used all motor but we were able to go up to the front of the boat and lay out up there. On the way back he put the sails. There were no kids in our group but I think they would be kid friendly. Our crew was very nice and knowledgable. All 9 of us left there saying we would recommend them in a heart beat to anyone!

If you have any more questions let me know!!

ENJOY!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking my elderly mom and 10 yr old DD to Cayman and the Buccaneer looks like a terrific choice for an excursion. However, my mom is very fair skinned and probably won't snorkel at the other stops. She mainly just wants to get in at Stingray City. Is there plenty of shade on the Buccaneer so that she can sit outside and watch us snorkel at the other stops?

I do not remember any shade on the catamaran. However, maybe you could call them and ask if she would be able to sit inside or maybe you could bring an umbrella (the kind that has a clamp and you screw it onto A BAR). but, I would definitely call them and see what arrangements can be made - I don't see why something couldn't be worked out.

I went on Captain Marvins and it was great but I think when we go next year I will try Cap. Bryans. sounds like fun.

I also want to recomend that you go to the store before your cruise and purchase a few underwater cameras before you go they are like 3 times the price down there compaired to here. and they take good pics underwater. my son and I have a great time when we snorkel with them ands get some good pics too.

Archived