Eze & St. Paul de Vence questions

I would love to hear more about your stop at these ports. Any recommendations for places to have lunch? Also, someone in my group may have a problem with a lot of walking. I've been reading that both of these towns require lots of walking on steep trails. Is this true? Is it possible to still enjoy going here without doing too much walking?

I would love to hear more about your stop at these ports. Any recommendations for places to have lunch? Also, someone in my group may have a problem with a lot of walking. I've been reading that both of these towns require lots of walking on steep trails. Is this true? Is it possible to still enjoy going here without doing too much walking?

What is your port stop for thses 2 towns? If it is Nice I would got St.P over Eze as even though they are both hill towns I think St.P would be easier and there is a nice place to sit and eat before going up into the town if the person did not want to do this.It's shaded etc.They both require a lot of walking is trye. maybe some else will have a different view.Villefranch would be closer to Eze if that is your port,but you could still go to St.P from there as well.There are nic eplaces to eat in both.

thanks for the info.

Our port is Cannes. We are using a tour guide & I need to decide where we would like to make stops. Originally, we were going to do Eze & St.Paul De Vence, but the more I read, the more I think one village like this is enough. They both sound beautiful, but I need to make sure we have enough time to see Nice & Monaco too.

I guess what I need to know is, can you enter either of these villages without doing a hike beforehand? She can always rest somewhere once we are in & we can meet up.

I read alittle about Colombe d'Or Restaurant, but it looks very very expensive. Have you eaten there? Can you tell me if the prices are very high?

Yes, I've eaten there and the prices are on the high side (60 euros for lunch) but the place it worth it. The art and ambience are wonderful! I'm going back this June. It is just outside the entrance to St. Paul. You can make a reservation by emailing them at contact@la-colombe-dor.com or your guide can give them a call.

The last time I was there I was having knee problems and walked a little in St. Paul and then came back to the entrance and sat in a cafe across from the Colombe d'Or and waited for the others.

If you are interested in art, the Foundation Maeght http://www.fondation-maeght.com/ is there.

This site will give you more info on St. Paul: http://www.saint-pauldevence.com/visit_saintpauldevence.html#

I wouldn't miss it!

Just adding my three cents again...the CD IS quite expensive and the 150 euro is more spot on than 20 euro for sure.There are several other places to eat in St.P other than CD before one starts the walk if you chose to visit there and you can be dropped off closer other than the parking lot and walking up if you are with a private guide.The CD IMHO is not a place to go for doing a "port day" as it is a place to take and enjoy one's time if staying in the area.Good luck with whatever you chose.

We ate at an outdoor cafe at the entrance to St. Paul. The food was good and the price was reasonable. I have back problems and was able to manage St. Paul but Eze was much more difficult for me, steeper than St. Paul. Have fun.

Joan

Hi!!!

We were there in Late July. For walking St.P is easier, though I enjoyed Eze more. We had to rest and get a drink. We went to the Chateau Eze, had some glasses of wine, which included some amuse bouche (small appetizers). They were very friendly and the views were breath taking.

Dennis

We went to Eze last year - we took the bus from Monte Carlo. I loved Eze - it was very charming. Yes there were a lot of little shops to wander in but I thought it was a really cool place. There is a lot of walking and Eze is rather steep so I think if someone has problems walking this may not be the place to go.

If you do go, and can make it to the top of the village there is a beautiful botanical garden- Jardin Exotique. Stay on the path and keep going to the end - the view overlooking the med is amazing and well worth the walk - I felt like I was on the top of the world.

We are going on another med cruise this year and will be taking the bus to Nice and from there to St. P. The busses are modern and clean and cheap. I think last year we spent less than 6 euros each to go from Mote Carlo to Eze to Nice and then back to Monte Carlo.

Lynn

both were a lot of walking. SP was less steep. neither were really worth it. both were very touristy with nothing to offer except shopping.

I agree, we went to Eze last year and we were disappointed. I wouldn't go back. Yes, it was charming in a touristy sort of way. But it was not worth the time it took to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to All,

Respectfully, I have to disagree about Eze being not worth going to. I feel that if you go to do the look-around as alot of tourists do, fail to enjoy the flavor of being in the town and enjoy the great views while sipping a glass of champagne. We talked to the locals and learned alot. Had a great time there. Guess I am the type that wants to experience a place rather then just look. Everyone has their preference while travelling.

Dennis

I think Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo, St Paul and Eze in one day is too much. We are arriving in Monte Carlo and having our driver take us to St. Paul. Note that we have been told that St. Paul is one hour each way (from Monte Carlo) by highway and 1.5 hours if you go the more scenic route.

I think you should decide on a couple of places to visit if you only have one day, not 5.

I think Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo, St Paul and Eze in one day is too much. We are arriving in Monte Carlo and having our driver take us to St. Paul. Note that we have been told that St. Paul is one hour each way (from Monte Carlo) by highway and 1.5 hours if you go the more scenic route.

I think you should decide on a couple of places to visit if you only have one day, not 5.

we did all with our tour guide last summer but between Eze and St Paul.. I would take Eze.

Eze is still like the Medieval mountain top village with little shops and restuants carved into the exisiting homes and with little outside renovation. A lot of walking winding paths with beautiful views and beautiful doorway and window flowers. On the other hand, St Paul, was the same hilltop Medival but turned into Disney World. The store fronts had picture windows cut into the walls, outside displays, etc... Pricy art....disappointing ...

Also difficult to walk but easier than Eze.

we did all with our tour guide last summer but between Eze and St Paul.. I would take Eze.

Eze is still like the Medieval mountain top village with little shops and restuants carved into the exisiting homes and with little outside renovation. A lot of walking winding paths with beautiful views and beautiful doorway and window flowers. On the other hand, St Paul, was the same hilltop Medival but turned into Disney World. The store fronts had picture windows cut into the walls, outside displays, etc... Pricy art....disappointing ...

Also difficult to walk but easier than Eze.

Well, I am interested in Chagall and of course he is buried in St Paul.

St. Paul is definitely less hilly to walk than Eze. We did both. I have bad knees and had no problem navigating St. Paul. You can walk straight to the back and visit the cemetery. We took pictures of where Chagall is buried. There's a nice view from there also.

Eze has a very steep walk up to the top to see the view. I was unable to make the walk and just strolled around at the base of Eze. There are some stores to browse in but nothing spectacular. I think Eze is prettier than St. Paul. St. Paul is more "artsy" but there are sidewalk cafes where you can sit and have something to eat.

Archived