Venice late at night

We will be docking (Grand Princess) at Venice at 10PM. Unfortunately, we disembark and fly home at Noon the next day. So we only have the late night to see a little bit. Other than the Gondolas, which apparently go 'til very late, is there anything apart from right around St. Mark's to see between 10 and @2AM?? Any suggestions appreciated:)

Not that much. Even the cafes on St. Mark's square close between 12.30 and 1 am. You should not miss the atmosphere there with the live orchestra and the lightened buildings. Though not cheap it is worthwhile to sit down and maybe have a bottle of wine. This and the Gondola ride will easily fill some time.

For later hours there are a couple of bars around Campo S. Margherita in the Dorsudoro quarter. Mostly orientated to students they stay open until 2 am.

The piano bar Martini Scala on the Campo S. Fantin stays open until 3.30 am.

Of course you also can walk around and soak in the special atmosphere of Venice by night. You just need to know that there is not a lot of ligthing.

Venice tends to be a quiet city late at night. The day tourists have left by then and businesses do tend to close up earlier compared with the seaside resorts of the Mediterranean. As Carlmm points out there will be one or two bars still open but be prepared for a rather quieter amble around the city than perhaps you would prefer. You will of course still be able to see the Grand Canal & St Mark's Square etc so it will still be worthwhile.There will certainly be no crowds!

Marge M

If there were any way possible (not knowing how far away your sailing is), get an air deviation from Princess & extend your vacation a few days. Yes, Venice hotels can be expensive; but the rewards are many. A visit to TripAdvisor.com will show you less expensive lodging options. You can cover the major sites in 2 days (if you don't dilly dally). But that's not doing the city justice. Getting lost & exploring out of the way campos & neighborhoods is the best way to get a true flavor of Venice. My first visit was a 3 day/2 nt. port of call in '03. We crammed in so much. But it wasn't until we disembarked a cruise there last year; & spent 5 more days that I REALLY discovered Venice. I envy your decision.

Thanks for the responses. We hit Venice at the end of a 28 day cruise (our first to the Med.) I'm guessing that we'll be pretty well worn out and ready for home by then - so we 've decided against extending a stay - this time. But it is nice to know that there at least a few options for one last late night :D

Venice is a favourite of ours, and we've been several times over the past few years.

It has a different but special feel late at night when the day trippers have gone, much calmer than the hectic daytime crowds. There are some very pretty views of the canals reflecting the lights, and my favourite is to stand on the Accademia bridge where you can see a classic view of Venice.

On our latest trip, last month, we were still wandering around the streets gone 1.00 a.m., watching an eclipse of the moon, and St. Marks was quite magical.

Paul S

Bob A,

I would ask the various crew members I befriend what is happening late in Venice. I saw many, many crew mentions leave the ship and not come home until dawn when we overnighted in Venice. (They all could not have been doing the "walk of shame").

That was on a Saturday mind you, so YMMV, but it looked to me like they had no shortage of "younger people" options.

Once you've finished having a drink or dessert in San Marco Sq and a gondola ride, and doing some walking around, I'd recommend hitting the high end bars like Harry's Bar or the bar at the Danieli.

I realize that it's not "seeing" Venice, but these are happening spots for the "see and be seen" crowd so I'm sure it would be a very wonderful "last night" for you.

You might also do a search for "Venice at Night" and see what you come up with. You may find that there's a concert or something the night you're there.

Archived