Mexican Excursions for kids?

Dukeswalker

Or suggestions on what to do in lieu of excursions? We're taking an 8 day cruise to Acalpuco, Zijhuatenejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo. We'll be traveling with 3 kids, 3yo, 6yo and 14yo - we would be happy to just go find a cool beach to hang out on and enjoy a bucket of beer and some good food....I'm actually thinking that we would prefer to not do an actual booked excursion - simply because I doubt we'll be able to find something the 3yo and the 14yp will both enjoy.

TIA!

We took an 8 day cruise with the same stops when my son was 2. Here is what we did:

In Acapulco we had a cab driver give us a little tour with 2 stops for shopping and then he took us to watch the cliff divers. My son napped in his carseat so when we got to the divers I transitioned him from the carseat to the stroller and he slept in it while we watched the divers.

In Manzanillo we took a cab again to a beach that was around the cove(?) from Las Hadas. I can look up the name if you like. We just hung out on the beach, drank beer and ate. Luckily we took juice boxes for DS because I don't think they had anything bottled for him to drink. The water was kind of rough and there was some kind of snake on the beach that the locals killed. You could pay people there to take you out snorkeling or ride the banana raft. Oh yeah, and at that port we couldn't find a cab with seatbelts so we had to take the carseat back to our cabin. Still can't believe I did that especially since the driver on the way back was a psycho driver. Although, seeing a family of 3 on a motorcycle with a pack of diapers made me feel a little less irresponsible because on of the people on the motorcycle was a toddler.

In Zihuatanejo we took a water taxi over to Playa Las Gatas and loved every minute of it. Beer, seafood, beautiful place. Just a kick back place. So if you like to lounge it is great. There was a rocky area that worked as a barrier so the water was reall mellow for DS.

This last year (DS was/is 3) and we missed Manzanillo due to a passenger having a heart attack. In Zihua we did the same thing and in Acapulco we left DS in the Fun Factory and did some shopping and stopped for 2 drinks and a snack. That was really stupid of us too because the ship would have no way to contact us had something happened to DS.

Anyway, sorry to ramble and let me know if you have any questions for me. HTH

Precursers.....DS and DD both take Mexican Folkloric Dance at a dance studio in AZ, and DD and DS both studied Mexican history before the trip.

Cabo - Water Taxis to Lover's beach. Great beach. Only accessible by boat. Men working for $1 tips to help kids on and off the boats. Safe swimming on the Sea of Cortez side. $10 per person.

Mazatlan....Shopping/Papantla Flyer show...too much time shopping, but great show with Folkloric Dancing, Trick Roping and the Panpantla Flyers, 80 feet up with out a net.

Acapulco.... Self tour.... walk across from the boat dock to the Ft. San Diego Musue...Great slilce of history from precolubian times to post revolution..... Free on Sundays, pretty cheap other days.... Then lunch at La Perla and the Cliff Diving Show. Then we went to the Hotel Boca Chica...(0n the net), and paid the $15/10 entrance fee, so that we could pay another $10 per person to snorkle. DH got the fulll credit for our entrance fee, but like we could really drink $50 worth of beer in 2 hours????

In Manzanillio, DH and I went to Las Hadas 4 years ago (The 10 Resort) and it was very night, but don't let them nickle and dime you.)

In Zihautenjo..... DD and I did solamente el mercardo,,,,,( only the market)... but we have hear that Playa Los Gatos is the best. ....

Thanks a ton for the replies! Gocruisin' - I am SO glad to hear you brought your carseat along! I have been wondering if the cabs would have seat belts. We head down to Puerto Penasco (in Mexico) pretty frequently - I know I have never seen a local baby/kids in a carseat so I was a little worried. Good to hear that you got to use it! :) We also plan on packing drinks/scacks forthe little one. I figured if I get Montezuma's Revenge - no biggie. If my 27 lb skinny minnie gets it - I see some serious dehydration in our future.

Archived