Whale Watching in Juneau or Icy Strait Point?

ChicagoCruisers2006

Our cruise is on Celebrity in September. We stop in Ketchikan, Juneau and ISP. I've been searching this board for the past few days and have found great suggestions on excursions. I think I'm getting close to booking and wanted input on the following options:

In Juneau, we'd like to book the helicopter tour to Mendenhall (my husband really wants to do this); I'm trying to decide if we should also do a whale watch tour (which I really want to do). I'm leaning towards Harv and Marv. Or is this too much to do in one day and should we just do the helicopter in Juneau and do the whale watch in ISP with F.I.S.H.E.S?

Are the whale watches much different in one port vs. another? Can anyone comment on the quality of experience Harv and Marv v. FISHES?

I also thought it would be good to have a second excursion planned for Juneau in case the weather is bad and the helicopter in cancelled.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice you can provide.

Welcome to the Alaska board.

Your detailed post is great - shows you have done your homework!

I was just doing a search last night about Icy Strait Point for a cruise I am considering for June 07. The Radiance of the Seas stops there and I am not real familiar with it. From the posts about Icy Strait Point the last 6 months, whale watching is good at either Juneau or ISP. In fact, from the posts I read, many of the boats out of Juneau end up near ISP for whale watching!

I am not personally familiar with FISHES but they got good comments on the posts I read last night.

If you go with whales out of Juneau, make sure the two excursions fit well time wise with a bit of a buffer in between the two. You probably know this from reading the Alaska thread, but two other popular vendors for whale watching in Juneau are Orca Enterprises and Alaskan Marine Adventures. Alaskan Marine Adventures is offering a $50 off special if you mention the cruise tax promotion at the time of booking.

Regarding an alternate excursion in Juneau if the helicopter is canceled, you could always head to the Mendenhall Visitor Center and view the glacier from a distance, see the film in the vistor center, etc. I am sure others with more experience will comment on alternate plans.

Last year we did whale watching in both places and both were outstanding. This year we are going to do Harv and Marv in Juneau and in ISP we are going to hike to town along the coast, because last year we were able to see several whales from the shoreline and hundreds of bald eagles.

Thanks for both of your suggestions

cycsopup - we are also cruising on the Infinity I'm looking forward to reading some trip reviews from this year's cruises to Alaska. I'm a bit worried about the pod issues, but am really looking forward to the trip and we have an excellent cabin, so I'd rather not. We have until end of June to decide....

Just let me know if I can answer any questions for you. I can try, we were in Juneau and ISP last year and we are definitely looking forward to this cruise. We also have an excellent cabin at the front of the ship, near the bridge. Only our second trip with Celebrity, but if this ios anything like the first we are in for a treat.

I do know that we are on the first sailing after the May 20 drydock and supposedly they are working on the pods. We shall see, I just hope nothing happens to spoil this cruise.

Last year we did whale watching in both places and both were outstanding. This year we are going to do Harv and Marv in Juneau and in ISP we are going to hike to town along the coast, because last year we were able to see several whales from the shoreline and hundreds of bald eagles.

Did your tour with FISHES in ISP? Any comments?

Archived