Anything on the Kona Bay Beach Blast?

Hollyster2

I would like any information on the Kona Bay Beach Blast excursion offerred through the ship. It says it provides a cooler with drinks and a box lunch. Is there anywhere to shop or buy a drink that the ship passengers may access?

Just exactly where do they take you - I don't know of anywhere that is actually CALLED Kona Bay other than, I guess, the area where the ship is anchored. Give me more info about the location and I can tell you about shopping and food.

Just exactly where do they take you - I don't know of anywhere that is actually CALLED Kona Bay other than, I guess, the area where the ship is anchored. Give me more info about the location and I can tell you about shopping and food.

I believe it is Anaeho'omalu Bay Beach

I believe it is Anaeho'omalu Bay Beach

Okay. If it is A-Bay, you don't need to worry. The Marriott fronts the beach, there are tons of activities and rentals, the King's Shops are across the street and there are multiple restaurants plus a food court. The Hilton is just up the way and there is a ($1/person each way) shuttle thingee that goes between the hotel and the King's Shops, or you can walk - it isn't that far. There are restaurants at both ends of the golf courses, too.

Turtles here are mostly around the (very shallow, esp. at low tide) lava fingers to either end of the crescent beach. There's a lava outcropping as well about halfway along the crescent and sometimes they'll come in there to feed.

Bottom is very sandy here and the water can be murky when the sands get stirred up. There are a number of areas where there are fresh water intrusions (from old lava tubes) and you will notice that the temperature of the water changes as does the visibility. Reef is pretty far out and fairly deep.

On the ground of the hotel (Marriott) there is a well preserved ancient Hawaiian fish pond (Hawaiians practiced aquaculture in a very sophisticated system of ponds along the coast line) and a small heiau (temple) and the beach is lined with coconut palms. There are good restroom facilities, decent public parking and the whole area is well maintained (mostly by the hotels) The Marriott is in the last throes of a multi million dollar rennovation and I haven't been in since they started, but looks like it will be done pretty soon, and looks pretty spectacular.

There is public parking on both sides of the hotel property, but I'd recommend the second parking area, which is between the Marriott and Kolea - you turn in like you are going into Kolea, and then turn to the left - signs are small, but you shouldn't go through the gate into Kolea. That parking lot is a bit less used and hotel and Kolea security are all around and there is less likelihood of having stuff ripped off from your car (although you still shouldn't leave valuables in the car, anywhere.) It also brings you in closer to the activities center, and to the lava fingers where the turtles mostly hang out.

You can do this on your own from the pier if you rent a car, and it might be cheaper, depending on what arrangements the tour has regarding the activities folks. If all that stuff is included, you might do better on the tour than with the car rental and then the activities fees. If all they are doing is transport and a box lunch, though, you'd most likely do better renting a car.

Forgot to mention the shopping possibilities - the Kings Shops has a lot of galleries, some tee shirt type places, a small branch of Macy's, some nicer dress shops, a couple of really good high end souvenir shops - koa wood carvings, etc., and some high end retailers like Tiffany's and Coach, as well as a DFS, mostly catering to the Japanese tourists.

There SHOULD be some shops in the Marriott, and they used to have local craftspeople come in there as well - don't know what's going on since the rennovations, which have been going on for over a year now.

Hilton has a shopping arcade - very high end stuff, very pricey for the most part but some lovely shops - that you get to on the monorail. Hilton is worth a trip just to gawk - we take our visitors there, especially at Christmas - but the art collection truly is awesome. They also have the dolphin program and that can be fun to watch, although expensive to participate in.

There is a new shopping area under construction called the Queen's Marketplace, and that is supposed to open up within the next few months.

There is frequent live entertainment at the King's Shops, and there are also frequent craft shows and classes for things like lei making and lauhala weaving. Hard to say what might be going on at any given time, though.

I would like any information on the Kona Bay Beach Blast excursion offerred through the ship. It says it provides a cooler with drinks and a box lunch. Is there anywhere to shop or buy a drink that the ship passengers may access?

187-1e.jpgWaikoloa.gif

Forgot to mention the shopping possibilities - the Kings Shops has a lot of galleries, some tee shirt type places, a small branch of Macy's, some nicer dress shops, a couple of really good high end souvenir shops - koa wood carvings, etc., and some high end retailers like Tiffany's and Coach, as well as a DFS, mostly catering to the Japanese tourists.

SHOPPING....:D

Something told me this was going to be a great excursion!

The ship's excursion includes all of the activities plus lunch and transportation. I thought it a great deal without the hassle of a car since we will only be there one day. Don't have to worry about picking it up, filling up, and then returning it. Woo Hoo! I am sooooo excited!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you are back from your cruise and how did you find the Kona Bay Beach Blast? I am going in August/07 and wondered what the day included. It mentions kayaking, snorkeling, biking and glass bottom boat ride. If you are booking this from the Cruise do you know what is included in the $79 price. I can't seem to find out anymore info other than what is written up in the little blurb. It isn't really specific. So if you did take it I would love to hear how you enjoyed it. TKS :)

We spoke to a couple who did this excursion last year on our POH cruise. They said they literally had a "blast" ....enjoyed the day very much. They were talking about using the paddle boats, etc. I think it sounds like a great time. A-Bay is beautiful.

I'm also considering this excursion during our Aug 07 cruise. With a 12 and 15 yr old I thought this would be a great option and they would have a lot to do there. I was also looking into the Black Sand Beach and Snorkel trip which also goes to A-Bay. From the description it sounds like the only difference is that it includes a short catamaran sail to a secluded black sand beach. Does anyone have any experience with this trip?

Pat

Archived