Ecstasy-Only Thread! Ask questions and post info. here!

pbeachbum

[quote name='huskerdude']Jobster,
Is Mr. Sancho's a good choice to take a 7 year old? I have read that their beach was badly damaged from the hurricane last year. Do you know if they still had the horses & off road vehicles? Cost?

We are headed out on August 11th with our DD, DIL, & Grandson. This will be our 5th, but first for the DIL & grandson. Can't wait.[/quote]

Sorry, we just had a beach day. We did notice some horse trails but does not know how much they cost.

Went on the 5 day in April, to Cozumel and Progresso. The ship was late getting in that morning so embarkation was a slow, painful process. We got to the port about 11:30 and it took about 2 1/2 hours of standing in line before we were able to board. I strongly encourage anyone to get on line before departing home or the hotel for the ship to check and see if there are any updates. We would have waited and left for the port later if we'd just checked the status of the ship. Other than that, everything was great. Smooth seas, great weather, friendly staff, cold drinks and good food. The buffet food was nothing special but dining room food was quite good and dining room staff in Windsong, Lavinia and Gene, were incredible. They made great suggestions and were quick to bring something else if you just gave the slightest hint that you didn't like what you had ordered. We brought 3 -1 1/2 liter bottles of wine to dinner throughout the week and were charged the $10 corkage fee for each bottle but we were able to drink what we liked and it was less expensive than ordering from the bar.
We had been to Cozumel before and didn't do any excursions, just went to our favorite hotel swim up bar and relaxed. First time to Progresso and really liked it. It was not as commercial as Cozumel. The beach was nice and I got a 30 minute massage on the beach for $15...amazing! There was only one water sport on the beach, the "banana boat thing". We rode it for about 15 minutes for $7. There were lots of vendors on the beach selling their goods but a simple "no thank you" if you weren't interested did the trick.
The gym was great with plenty of equipment, never had to wait for a machine. But, it was very warm in the gym area, felt like no air was circulating there.
The ship is older w/ some logistical frustrations but cabins were redone w/ very comfortable beds, plenty of storage space and flatscreen TV. Overall, great relaxing cruise. Would do it again tomorrow:)

[quote name='EastTexans2']We will have an oceanview. Are they good about keeping the ice bucket full?[/QUOTE]

Just on the 5/10 sailing. We drained our ice bucket every time. I noticed when we left the lid off, and the steward could see it was empty, it was always refilled. I forgot to take the lid off a couple times, though, so I guess he didn't notice it b/c it wasn't refilled.

Wife and I are heading out on our first Carnival cruise last week in July and are taking the Ecstasy out of Galveston. We've done two Disney cruises, so we're not complete newbies.

First off, DW and I are driving in the day before. I've heard Harbor House is a good place, but is that the place that is apparently walking distance from the pier, or do I need to get my meds checked? Just need someplace cheap that we can hole up in. I don't mind parking at the pier if needed.

Also, I like a good cigar. I know lighters are dicey with TSA regs, but not sure if that applies to ships. I've got a torch that the wife gave me a few years ago as an anniversary present and I don't want to risk having it confiscated.

Also, we're looking at excursions. She's pretty athletic, me not so much. Were considering doing snorkeling at least one day. I take it doing it in both Progreso and Coz would be pushing it?

Just paid the final amount off, so we're counting down . . .

-D

[quote name='AVGeek']Wife and I are heading out on our first Carnival cruise last week in July and are taking the Ecstasy out of Galveston. We've done two Disney cruises, so we're not complete newbies.

First off, DW and I are driving in the day before. I've heard Harbor House is a good place, but is that the place that is apparently walking distance from the pier, or do I need to get my meds checked? Just need someplace cheap that we can hole up in. I don't mind parking at the pier if needed.

Also, I like a good cigar. I know lighters are dicey with TSA regs, but not sure if that applies to ships. I've got a torch that the wife gave me a few years ago as an anniversary present and I don't want to risk having it confiscated.

Also, we're looking at excursions. She's pretty athletic, me not so much. Were considering doing snorkeling at least one day. I take it doing it in both Progreso and Coz would be pushing it?

Just paid the final amount off, so we're counting down . . .

-D[/QUOTE]

Harbor House is a couple of blocks from the terminal. Not far at all!

I wouldn't snorkel in Progreso. The water isn't really clear.

Also, you should be okay with taking the lighter onto the ship.

Have a great time! :)

We stayed at the Harbor House for our April Ecstasy cruise and I highly recommend it. It is a short walk to the cruise terminal. On the morning of our departure I walked to the terminal to check and see when we should bring our luggage and a porter said he would come to the hotel and pick up our checked luggage and take it to the terminal. At the end of the cruise we had a porter take our luggage to our car in the hotel parking lot. Make sure you tip them well, it is worth it. If you book your hotel room for the Harbor House through Galveston.com then your cruise parking is free.
No matter where you stay make sure you get a porter for your luggage at the end of the cruise and you will bypass the long customs line and go to one of the shorter lines.

Found Docs on accident today when I filled out our Fun Pass on the Carnival website. :eek: Can anyone tell me about OV room M165? I see where it's located on the ship but that's about it. First timer here, still learning.
Happy Cruisin',
Christy:cool:

We cruised the Ecstacy last year 7/6/06 and where very frustated with the slow elevators. I've read that there has been some onboard improvements and I was wondering if anyone who has sailed on her recently had any problems with the elevators taking forever. This year we are going back and taking some elderly relatives with us and just wanted to know for sure what to expect. TIA

We cruised the Ecstacy last year 7/6/06 and were very frustated with the slow elevators. I've read that there has been some onboard improvements and I was wondering if anyone who has sailed on her recently had any problems with the elevators taking forever. This year we are going back and taking some elderly relatives with us and just wanted to know for sure what to expect. TIA

[QUOTE=KCCruisin';10209118]We cruised the Ecstacy last year 7/6/06 and were very frustated with the slow elevators. I've read that there has been some onboard improvements and I was wondering if anyone who has sailed on her recently had any problems with the elevators taking forever. This year we are going back and taking some elderly relatives with us and just wanted to know for sure what to expect. TIA[/QUOTE]

Just off the Ecstasy 5/14/07, and I was very impressed with the elevators. I thought the wait time for them was among the best I've ever had on a cruise, actually. Not long at all!

[quote name='aggieastrosfan']Just off the Ecstasy 5/14/07, and I was very impressed with the elevators. I thought the wait time for them was among the best I've ever had on a cruise, actually. Not long at all![/quote]

Thank you so much for your input, AggieAstrosfan :)

Since we were on a Summer cruise, do you think that the amount of people onboard might be a factor? Did you have a full ship?

[QUOTE=KCCruisin';10209664]Since we were on a Summer cruise, do you think that the amount of people onboard might be a factor? Did you have a full ship?[/QUOTE]

We were on the ship Mother's Day weekend - I think it sold out 2 weeks prior to sailing. Definitely a full ship. :)

We did take the stairs a lot when it was just one, sometimes two flights of stairs, and we did go down a few times when we got tired of waiting. Overall, though, I was pretty impressed.

I was checking our cruise stuff and the original price on our cruise has increased by $80 per person since we booked. If they are raising prices does this mean:

The ship is going to be full, and . . .

That there might be a better chance of a cabin upgrade? Got a 6a guarantee, but one can always hope.

We head out last full week in July. Cannot wait. Wife will have the new Harry Potter book in her hand and plans on spending sea days reading.

-D

Hi Patmom4!

I'll be on your cruise! Myself, my roommate, and our friend! Should be a good time! Does anyone know the cheapest (but safest) way to get from Progresso to downtown Merida??

Thanks,
Ashley :-)

[quote name='AVGeek']I was checking our cruise stuff and the original price on our cruise has increased by $80 per person since we booked. If they are raising prices does this mean:

The ship is going to be full, and . . .

That there might be a better chance of a cabin upgrade? Got a 6a guarantee, but one can always hope.

We head out last full week in July. Cannot wait. Wife will have the new Harry Potter book in her hand and plans on spending sea days reading.

-D[/quote]

We also had a price increase on our cruise on the 11th of August. DW said it was almost 150.00/pp :eek: (so glad we booked early)

I would take that to mean that the ship is filling up fast. Simple rule of supply & demand.

As far as an upgrade, if they are booking rooms at a higher price than what you paid I would not count on it. There would be nowhere for you to upgrade to. But you can always hope.:)

Ernie

[quote name='MrsAggie']It looks like our room has a connecting door. There's only 3 of us. Should I be worried?:confused:
Christy[/quote]

There are no connecting doors on the Ecstasy. Even though it shows them. It is a template diagram for the fantasy class ships, but that is one thing the ship does not have.....:(

Ashpalo. Please check out the Ports of Call Board for Progreso. Lots more to be learned from [url]www.yucatantoday.com[/url]. The regular bus from Progreso to downtown Merida's historical area is a mere three dollars RT. It is reliable and frequent.

Seeing you're from Texas, I should let you know that Merida is in NO WAY like your boarder towns, Cancun or Cozumel. Merida (pop 1 million) is the state capitol of the Yucatan State and home to 4 universitys. A truely delightful city and area.

[quote name='LowRiderMomma']There are no connecting doors on the Ecstasy. Even though it shows them. It is a template diagram for the fantasy class ships, but that is one thing the ship does not have.....:([/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Beg to differ, the Ecstasy was refitted with connecting doors after she was used to house workers in NO after Katrina![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Really, because my PVP told us that there were no connecting cabins on the Ecstacy. We changed from 1 cabin for us and 2 teenagers to 2 and I aksed about connecting ones. He said none on that ship.

We're going on the Ectasy 7-29-07. Any suggestions about which excursions are the best to go on? We go to Montego Bay, Cozumel, and Grand Caymen.
What do you suggest are "musts to do" We welcome any info.
Broth7

Archived