Family Experience on Silversea?

rswallis

My partner and I (43 and 37yo) are considering a November 2008 Silversea cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale. We wonder if any gay couples have experience with Silversea and smaller ship cruising. I know I'll miss the 70,000-93,000 ton Celebrity ships and all they have to offer, but the Silversea suites, food, etc., really does look 6-star. Thanks!

My guy and I have been on six Silversea cruises (four on the Whisper, one on the Cloud and one on the Shadow) and had good times on all of them. We're in our late 40's (I really hate saying that!) and feel that Silversea does a good job welcoming people of all walks of life. We're open about who we are and we found the crews and fellow passengers to be very nice. What we like about the smaller ships and Silversea in particular:

More intimate size - no fighting with 2000 of your best friends to use the pool, bars, etc.

Friendly crews that get to know you and your preferences (food and drink wise)

Great suites. We always book a Vista (non-veranda) and have been upgraded to a veranda on 3 of the six. No guarantees that will happen, but it does happen.

Much better food than on the larger vessels. The quality of food on Silversea is a hot topic on the Silversea board. Some feel it has delcined over the years and I think that on our last cruise in Nov. 06 on the Shadow, we saw a difference - not for the better - in the food in the Restaurant than on our previous cruises. That being said, they still do a nice job overall. If you're in a splurging mood, we had three fabulous meals in Le Champagne on the Shadow last November. It's an upcharge, but we felt it was worth it.

Alcohol included in price. We're not the biggest drinkers, but we do like our Champagne. Being able to drink our fill without the worry of a huge bar tab is great. The inclusive brands are all fairly nice and most folks don't bother with ordering premium call brands.

More subdued, relaxed atmosphere. No constant announcements of "fun on the lido deck", no "hairy legs contests" at the pool, etc.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.

Perry

Perry,

Thanks so much for your comments--that helps very much. We too live in DC, by the way. We're off to Alaska on Celebrity's Infinity on June 3 (with 2000 people!) but I'm sure we'll have fun. Looking forward to trying new things in 2008.

I can concur with Perry. My partner (of 22 years) and I have been on six Silverseas sailings and have never had even the slightest problem. Silversea passengers are generally well educated and worldly. We have befriended many straight couples on our cruises...one with whom we continue to travel. I believe there has always been at least one other male couple on board. It has always been a nonissue with the crew as well and we have always been treated as a "couple."

Because the ships are smaller you won't be as anonymous as on a larger ship...but it will not be an issue on Silversea.

• 9 months later...

My partner and I are also going to try Silversea. We are booked on a 12 night cruise on the Silver Shadow that leaves from vancouver on sept. 5th and ends in LA. One of its ports toward the end is san francisco. We have sailed 5 times on Crystal and loved it and wanted to give another upscale line a try and see how we like it. I am sure it will be great!:) Movie Buff

Archived