Friends of Bill W. on Conquest?

Cruise Arizona

Hi, Mom and Dad are leaving to go on the Conquest Sunday, and Dad has just recently quit drinking and needs to attend Friends of Bill W. meetings.

I have always seen them offered on my cruises, but wasn't sure if there would likely be a Friends of Bill W. meeting on the Conquest.

If they have them, how can Dad find out about them, are they on the Daily Program? Or would they need to ask the activities staff.

This is Dad's second try at sobriety, but his first time to try to cruise sober, so I am really hoping that he can make it through the cruise.

Also, other than soda, are there any other non alcoholic beverages that you would recommend on Carnival? Frozen drinks?

Any other suggestions for a sober cruise would be great.

other than soda, are there any other non alcoholic beverages that you would recommend on Carnival? Frozen drinks?

quote]

Thre is Lemonade, Punch, apple juice, and other fruit juices in the morning, iced & hot tea and most all kinds of non alcoholic frozen Drinks can be made at the bar for him.

Hi, Mom and Dad are leaving to go on the Conquest Sunday, and Dad has just recently quit drinking and needs to attend Friends of Bill W. meetings.

I have always seen them offered on my cruises, but wasn't sure if there would likely be a Friends of Bill W. meeting on the Conquest.

If they have them, how can Dad find out about them, are they on the Daily Program? Or would they need to ask the activities staff.

This is Dad's second try at sobriety, but his first time to try to cruise sober, so I am really hoping that he can make it through the cruise.

Also, other than soda, are there any other non alcoholic beverages that you would recommend on Carnival? Frozen drinks?

Just got back from the Conquest on the April 22 and recall seeing mention of these "Friends of Bill W." meetings in the Capers. Have no idea what they are....just thought Bill was a heck of a popular guy to get his own meeting :)

Just got back from the Conquest on the April 22 and recall seeing mention of these "Friends of Bill W." meetings in the Capers. Have no idea what they are....just thought Bill was a heck of a popular guy to get his own meeting :)

They are AA meetings.

I also had some concerns when we went on a cruise after my husband got sober. His drink of choice was gin and tonic, so the first time the bar guy came to get our order, he ordered tonic with lime. I was relieved but also remembered it was his choice to stay sober or not. One day at a time.

Under ask a cruise question board we have a thread going with lots of Friends of Bill W. if your dad is so inclined and wants to join Cruise Critic, have him come join us.

You could ask him if he has some books packed to take with him and I would recommend that if your mom is able to go to the meeting, she can also go to support him.

I have been on three Carnival cruises so far and only had active meetings on one cruise. My DH and I were the only two who showed up on the other two cruises.

I would not recommend that he order "virgin" drinks. In early sobriety they can be a real trigger for some people. Let him know there is coffee available around the clock. Maybe send him off with a great big mug so he can carry his own with him all the time.

Good luck to him. One day at a time.

My Father in law is a freind of Bill W. The meetings are listed on the little pull apart part of the capers only. There is none on embarkation day, but there was 1 every day after that. He says average of about 15 people each day. It was his first cruise sober and he had a blast!

Thank you for your words of support.

I have been trying to get him to join CC, maybe this would be a good excuse for him, and he could learn some sober cruising tips.

:oI am really worried that just being on a cruise ship would be a trigger for him. Virgin drinks probably wouldn't be too much of trigger for him as he was always a beer and wine or liquor person, not too much into the sweet drinks... I don't know if that makes a difference, but I would think these would be more like dessert than a drink. He's planning on doing the soda card.

Anyway...2 years after his first try at sobriety he realized that it was "all or nothin", and has decided to try sobriety because it is better than being physically ill all the time...He's gone to meetings all week long, so hopefully he'll stay on track this time...:o

How on earth do Friends of Bill get to sleep at night after all that Coffee!!:)

I love coffee, but more than 2 cups and I'm up all night!!!

Well, I'm a friend of Bill and for me it beats passing out any day!!!!:p I know for me I can never have to much coffee!!!! I go to bed just fine knowing I made it one more day

You are right...It does beat passing out!!

Thanks Bob and Joanne for all your information.

I e-mailed my Dad the link to the other thread and I called him to let him know that I had sent him a link and what it was all about.

I hope that he will join and get some support from ya'll.

I just hope that he can make is through the cruise.

You are right...It does beat passing out!!

Thanks Bob and Joanne for all your information.

I e-mailed my Dad the link to the other thread and I called him to let him know that I had sent him a link and what it was all about.

I hope that he will join and get some support from ya'll.

I just hope that he can make is through the cruise.

Good luck to you and tell him one day,one hour,one minute or one second at a time. tonight this friend will slip in an extra prayer for him and your family.

Good luck to your dad, the comments about meetings on board are quite correct. My upcoming cruise will be my third sober cruise and I have managed with help to put together four and a half years without drinking. One thing I have found helpful is to tell your waiter straight out the first day that you dont drink and that you would appreciate your decaf coffee to never run out during the course of the cruise!!! I keep one in front of me at all dinners however i fortunately never think of it anymore. With a little planning a cruise can be a wonderfully safe place for a guy like me or your dad. Have a wonderful time. Tom

Archived