Diving in San Juan, PR

ChildofGod

We'll be on Carnival Destiny Aug. 26 sailing. We'll fly in a few days before. When I researched about diving in PR, everyone said San Juan does not have good diving.

In the west Mona Island has the best diving and Desecheo island next to that. Mona would take one long day, or an overnight tent stay there. Desecheo is done in 3/4 day. La Parquera in SW has good wall diving. The Culebra island to the east also has good diving, but requires you to stay there for a night.

So my plan is to tour San Juan one morning and drive to El Younge and Farjado at night. Do the bio bay either at Fajardo or take a fast boat to Vieques for bio bay and back to Fajardo that night, to drive back to San Juan. We'll then head south to La Parquera to dive/snorkel there two days. The head to Rincon, to get a trip to Desecheo island. After that will get on the ship, for more diving at the ports.

San Juan is a port stop for us. We will be on the Liberty of the Seas. We would not have enough time to do any of these dives. Thanks for all the information and I hope that ya'll have a GREAT time on vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

There is some wonderful diving off the southern coast too but that's no good for just a day trip.

If you are just in port for the day, I highly recommend checking out El Yunque. We used to live just 10 minutes from there and hiked it frequently. The bioluminescent bay in Fajardo is beautiful at the right time of year and only after the sun sets.

Archived