Snuba - which port

LisaRae

Does anyone know which port would be best to snuba in - Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, or Costa Maya? I'm assuming that the answer to this would be about the same as for snorkeling or diving, but I'm not positive. We love snorkeling, but neither of us knows how to scuba, and I don't think we want to learn right now - too many other expenses to get hooked on that. It sounds like almost everyone who scubas gets hooked!

Thanks,

LisaRae

It's true that people who try to scuba get hooked easily. I was like that when I tried diving in a Beaches resort that included scuba. After trying a few dives, I decided to get certified. Snuba is a good choice in-between snorkeling and scuba. But in some places, the price difference between snuba and an intro scuba, may not be a lot.

I took the Carnival Miracle out of Tampa last years going to those same 4 ports. Now it's switched to Carnival Legend. You can try to google snuba and the port name, to find out if there are any ops offering snuba at that port. I don't think anyone in Costa Maya offers that yet. Probably not Belize either. But all those 4 ports have good snorkeling and scuba.

I dove at all 4 ports. Arranged my wife and friends to snorkel in Belize, Cayman, and Cozumel. All were good. The ship cut our time in Costa Maya short and they didn't get back from the morning tour in time for snorkeling in CM, otherwise I know it would've been good there too.

We were going to do Discover Scuba dives for our kids in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock (but now they are getting certified instead). It is reasonably priced and a short walk from the the port. Many posters to CC have raved about the quality of the shore dives there. You may want to consider it.

Archived