Has anyone had to do this???

danyelle

Has anyone here had to get a permission letter in order to take a child that was not your own onto a ship?

I was told I'd have to get a "note from my mommy" to take my brother cruising, but I'm not sure exactly what the letter should consist of.

Anyone w/ experience with this please help.

Thanks!

I haven't had to do this for cruising but my Husband and I did take a neighbor kid to Canada skiing for a week. His parents had a letter giving their permission for us to take the child to Canada, the specific dates, where we would be staying, and contact phone numbers. They had the letter notarized. This seemed to satisfy the border agents.

Jane from Spokane

Print this off, get it signed and notarized!

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):_____________________________________________ _________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):_______________________________________ ____

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

__________________________________________________ __________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Myself and my ex have had to do this for many years when we are taking the kids out of the country or allowing grandparents or other relitives to take them out of the country. All that is needed is a very basic notarized form from each parent not going on the cruise. something like:

To Whom it Concerns,

I (parent's name) give (person or persons taking child) permission to take my (son/daughter) (minor's name) out of the country leaving on or about (date) and returning on or about (date).

That's all it takes...happy cruising

YES YES AND YES, get the letter signed!!! We got to the port of NO in Jan, had the letter for the 13 yr friend of my 13 yr old DS but not for DS's 16yr old GF, maybe cause she had her Pic ID, once they ask for his letter, I was starting to panic!!! Trust me I will take a letter for every child under the age of 18 traveling with us from now on!!!!

Tina

Yes, we took a letter from our grandson's parents when we took him on a cruise. We were asked for it at customs when we returned. I believe we had to show it at embarkation as well. As a previous poster mentioned, get it notarized.

We took our granddaughter last month without her parents and had the letter and medical authorization as well as her insurance card. I had also purchased insurance to cover us all.

She's only 5 and her last name is different than ours. They didn't even ASK to see it at embarkation in NOLA. Coming back through Customs, he looked at her BC and looked down at her, took our passports and never asked either.

It kind of made me uncomfortable that they didn't ask to tell you the truth! Be sure you have one and you'll be fine.

Thank you all!

He has my last name and honestly looks like he could be the product of me and my boyfriend. Hopefully they wont ask us, but I'll definitely have the letter on hand.

Thanks again, especially you hstrybuf for making it EXTRA easy for me.

Archived