Quick dive while the wifes not looking

Hi All,

Does anyone now where I can go in the carribean and do a dive that wont take up more than 2 hours, All the shore excursions last 4 to 5 hours.

My wife doesn't dive and I dont really want to leave her alone for too long as this cruise is a birthday present for her but she does say it's a pity to go all that way and not do at least one dive, espacially as all mine take place in the cold waters of the British Isles.

Does anyone know what options you've got from the dive shop on board Explorer of the Seas, or is there anyone else in the same situation, maybe the wives can keep themselves amused together.

Any advice appreciated:confused: :)

There are many ports that do quick dives, as my husband does them every cruise we're on, he will be gone anywhere from 3-3 1/2 hours. It does take time to get there and back so that is included. The dives offered through the ship are a little longer, and a bit more restrictive as to how far down you may go, etc. He is a certified rescue diver, so he likes to go further down than they let you.

He researches dive shops on the islands and makes one on one ressies with them. And half the time they are cheaper than the cruises, and less crowded!

Does your wife like being on the water. Charter a semi or private sail boat that will take you diving while also providing for your wife. Sunbathing, snorkeling, massage, lunch, wine, roses. Get the idea. Happy Birthday! You both enjoy and you can go for 5/6 hours together instead of only a couple hours. Have Fun.

HAPPY CRUISING! :)

Book your wife a spa treatment or two while you are diving - maybe a massage with hot stones and a pedicure.....or a wrap??????

Or......

tell her to check out the jewelry stores and choose a few items... then when you come back you can look at her choices together and pick out her birthday gift!

There is a dive shop in the Grand Caymans that is walking distance from the pier. You can do a shore dive from there. A one tank dive takes about an hour. We did that last year.

Also, some of the dive tours will allow a ride along to srnorkle while the divers go down. If she doesn't want to snorkle, it is best for her not to go because dive boats can rock a lot and be unsettling if you are not use to them.

Most of the dive excursions off the ship are two tank dives and are quite long.

Oh, I forgot. What port are you going out of? There are a lot of dive shops in the Ft. Lauderdale area that will take ride alongs. Or drop the wife off on a tour of Sawgrass Mills or at the Galleria and meet her later.

If you are in Florida for a few days and can get down to the Keys Pennditon National Park in Key Largo is a divers dream. Great snorkleing too. It is the only underwater National Park.

If your wife likes to relax on a boat, or to snorkel, there are many diving opportunities where she could come along and snorkel, or sun on the boat or a beach. There will likely be other people along doing the same, so she wouldn't be alone.

Island Divers, in St. Lucia, with whom we booked a snorkeling day, offered us the opportunity of going out on their dive boat and snorkeling in the area where they were taking the divers, or snorkeling from the shore. We chose the shore option, only because the location offers fantastic close-in snorkeling.

Jodi

Hey scubaholic,

I am in the same boat as you. (no pun intended) Wife loves to dive, and I don't. We just came off the Grandeur of the Seas in Feb. We went to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel, and she was able to dive @ all three. None of the dives took more than 1 hour, with about a 30 minutes of prep time. (all 1 tank dives) The other poster was mentining Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. Very nice. Easy walk from the ship, and its a shore dive. ($60 USD) Actually went through a couple of caverns. Costa Maya was a boat dive, and we went through a resort right as you pull into Mahaual. (sorry can't remember the name) Cozumel, she dove @ Channkanab Park. Shore dive, very nice. So, the answer to your question is yes, its doable in the Western Caribbean. We sail in 2 weeks to the Bahamas, and that's a little tougher to do a quickie dive. She is only diving in Coco Cay. (private island) Nassau is about a 4 hour event cause its a 2 tank dive. If you need further info, let me know, and I may be able to get you some email addresses to the dive shops she used.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies so far there are a few things there that will help me. Forgot to put in my original post which ports we are doing, we are going 5th April 09 from New York to San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua and Tortola. Would prefer shore dive from beach location probably so wife can sun herself on beach and I wont be gone too long, so any dive shops that are beach located would probably be best.

Thank you to everyone so far for all replies.

Nat

I'm hoping to get her to try snorkeling in Spain in July, but if the last time she tried it is anything to go by then I'm not counting my chickens, but she is going to give it a go. If thats successful then maybe we'll have other options.

Has anyone tried Snuba?

If you haven't already been over to the roll call for your cruise, you should spend some time over there....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532083

You may meet some nice folks in the next couple of years. :) There may end up being a dive partner for you and a friend for your wife.

Yes I,ve already signed up for that thread, I was kind of hoping that that might happen and we'll all be happy:) :) :)

I'm hoping to get her to try snorkeling in Spain in July, but if the last time she tried it is anything to go by then I'm not counting my chickens, but she is going to give it a go. If thats successful then maybe we'll have other options.

Has anyone tried Snuba?

I have done snuba in St Thomas through VISnuba.com. I had a blast and will be doing their St John dive when I go back i November. I have some pix of it linked up in my siginiture (Navigator 2006) Did you want to know anythign in particular?

Archived