Questions-Taking Grandchildren on cruise

zoey9220

Hi:

I am thinking about taking my three grandchildren on a short cruise soon.

Can anybody tell me what kind of requirments there are to do this?

Is there any problem with a parent not being present?

What kind of identification do they need? None have passports and there is no time to get one. Will a certified copy of birth certificate suffice? Do

they need some type of picture ID?

Thanks for your help.

Zoey

As far as I know- passports are required for travel outside the US, which all cruises are outside the US except for NCL's Hawaiian ship.

Check with a TA or cruise line.

All cruise lines are now requiring a certified letter from both parents. The cruise line will have a form that they can mail to you.

You can still cruise to the Caribbean and Bermuda without a passport until January of 2008. BUT, if there is an emergency and you have to fly back you'll be in hot water because they are required for flying in/out of the U.S.

And, you'll need a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to take the children out of the country. Like rebeccalouise posted, you can get the form from the cruiseline.

The state department has actually changed the rules again on children and passports. Children do not need them and can still travel with a birth certificate only. The way I see it though is that I know that and the US State Dept knows that but the border agents might not, so I got my daughter a passport.

Like other posters said you will need a signed, notarized letter from mom and dad allowing the children to travel with you. Also get a letter from them stating that you are allowed to make any medical decisions should the need arise.

You can get a passport in 2 weeks (otherwise it's 8-10 weeks), but they charge $60 extra per passport application (on top of the standard passport fee). It'll get very expensive with 3 kids. Plus the passport application process is very strict now. Both parents need to be present at the submission of the application (unless the absentee parent provides a notarized letter stating permission was giving to apply for a passport).

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I would suggest that you wait until your grandkids have passports before you take them on a cruise. Unless you go to Alaska via Seattle, and maybe then you won't need a passport. I would consult individual cruiselines for their passport requirement.

Archived