Is travel agent's price almost always lower than PVP's?

Tian

Captain showing his age eh? :D You could say another Senile moment for the Captain. :D :D

Until you talk to the 'other' person in the mirror for 5 minutes before you realize it's you, there's still hope. :)

Apparently this is another one of those topics that boils down to "your mileage may vary." Some people are able to get cheaper deals through TA's, whether through group rates, discouted commissions, or whatever...while others (like me) are never able to find a better deal than the PVP offers.

I love my PVP, so I am sticking with her :) I have never been able to find a cheaper deal online.

when you check around do you actually contact TA's or just check their websites?

Bill

I think the best way to do things is search all sources...I usually book with Carnival direct as I have always got the best deal there. With the cruise I just booked I found there wasnt much difference between any site/source.

I always book a 4a inside...carnival could not guarntee my 2 rooms together without upgrading me to maindeck(4b) and adding about $40pp.

So I went to a TA online who was able to book my rooms on Main deck cheaper than Carnival by about $120. They waived their $19.95 booking fee per cabin and discounted each room by $60.

Then I had alittle mistake with my booking and to fix it they upgraded me to a 4G room cheaper than my original booking...there is no dout in my mind that they didnt loose commisions to make me happy.

So search all sources and choose what is right for you.

there was supposed to be a shift to "level pricing," by TAs and CCL alike, but i don't think that's ever really been instituted, at least not yet. while the prices are level and comparable at the outset, as far as i know, TAs are still permitted to shave off some $ by reducing their commission, resulting in a slightly lower fare at the time of booking (hence, not really level).

the trade off, many times, however, is that they won't be so readily excited about giving you a reduction or OBC, if a later sale occurs. also, there is usually a cancellation fee w/ a TA, regardless of the timing. it may be minimal (i think the one i use charges $50 per cabin -- thankfully, we have never had to do it), but it exists nontheless. there is no cancellation fee w/ CCL until you are in the penalty phase. this affords some flexibility to switch a sail date if you need to or cancel, if necessary, due to personal circumstances w/o incurring a fee.

when you check around do you actually contact TA's or just check their websites?

Bill

Usually I just check the websites. I have checked with a particular brick & mortar TA twice, and both times the quotes they gave me were either the same or slightly more than my PVP for the same cabin class.

Usually I just check the websites. I have checked with a particular brick & mortar TA twice, and both times the quotes they gave me were either the same or slightly more than my PVP for the same cabin class.

The reason I asked that is because Carnival does not allow anyone to ADVERTISE a lower price. By contacting TA's either by email or phone you'll most likely get a lower rate.

TrurCruiser,

My travel agent charges no booking fees or cancelation fees, and also rebates some of her comission.

Bill

Our TA started out by offering Carnival's published rate. When I asked if she could get us an onboard credit, she came up with $75 (this is for a 5 day New England cruise). I've always booked direct with the crise line, but figure I'll give the TA a chance. Besides, at Carnival prices, I'll spend close to $75 just for a bottle of wine at dinner.

The reason I asked that is because Carnival does not allow anyone to ADVERTISE a lower price. By contacting TA's either by email or phone you'll most likely get a lower rate.

TrurCruiser,

My travel agent charges no booking fees or cancelation fees, and also rebates some of her comission.

Bill

mine always shaves some $ off too, but i have been unsuccessful in getting any further rate reduction. i have (thankfully) never had to cancel, but i always write a personal note to her (on the acknowledgment of the cancellation fee) indicating that if it becomes necessary to cancel, i wld expect, given all of the business i have given to her (and the new clients i have given to her!), that she wld do what is necessary to waive that fee irrespective of what is written.

if that day comes and she will not waive it, despite my willingness to shift the funds to a new sail date (resulting in no loss of commission), i will not use her agency again.

mine always shaves some $ off too, but i have been unsuccessful in getting any further rate reduction. i have (thankfully) never had to cancel, but i always write a personal note to her (on the acknowledgment of the cancellation fee) indicating that if it becomes necessary to cancel, i wld expect, given all of the business i have given to her (and the new clients i have given to her!), that she wld do what is necessary to waive that fee irrespective of what is written.

if that day comes and she will not waive it, despite my willingness to shift the funds to a new sail date (resulting in no loss of commission), i will not use her agency again.

I wouldn't blame you one bit Loyalty works both ways.

Bill

Archived