Red, White and Blue Teams

angbaby

On our last cruise they did not do the colors but merely mardi gras and carnival. Also, they did not do the loud singing by the waiters. They stood on the stairwell and sang a nice song. No more dancing around the tables and what not. Me, I kind of missed it. I figured it was our maitre d who probably prefers it this way. You could tell our head waitress was too "classy" for the other way and it seemed to even embarass her to stand on the steps and sing. I guess everyone has different opinions and you can't please everyone. I did like having only 2 teams vs the colors.

My problem with the *game* is not the time it takes in the dining room, but that the *game* is announced in the dining room in the first place! If they left it out of the dining room, I would have no problem with it. I would not participate, but it would not interfere with the "ambience" that Carnival poorlly attempts to have during dinner. ((I enjoyed the singing waiters one-two nights on a cruise but the dancing and singing every night is a bit much too much!)

The game does not take time out of the dining room experience. It is announced after dessert. This is after the end of the meal. The waiter's dance and song is at the end of the meal. The DR meal lasts for 1-1 1/4 hour.

Just because you dress in a tux or evening gown at a dining room table does not mean you can not have fun. That means you have never been to a Mardi Gras ball.

I have learned so many good things on these boards. Thank goodness I kept reading, as I am now forewarned! Now that I am reading about singing and dancing on tables, screaming contests and team games competitions during dinner, I am becomming really leary about even going to the dining room at all. Do all cruise lines do this??? This short cruise is a test of the waters, to see if my husband likes cruising. I have plans for several, much longer cruises if he does. I can't help but think that these noisy dining room experiences are going to ruin cruising for us. Am I taking it too seriously? Please tell me we will barely notice these activities!

Jane

No, othe lines, and even other lines within the Carnival family DO NOT do this. Hah! could you even picture this on one of the Crystal Ships?

But that's not the point. This has never been a deal breaker for us, as we greatly enjoy the facilities of the Carnival Conquest Class ships and the itineraries. Based on what several other posters have stated, perhaps Carnival has modified the way they do this at dinner recently, because frankly we haven't been on a cruise since 12/05.

Now on that cruise (which note by the date was a major holiday cruise on the Glory) the maitre'd made announcements on the PA shortly after the majority of diners were seated, and that was when the color war announcements started going. We hadn't even be served our appetizers yet.

If they kept the frivolities to merely the wait staff standing on the balcony steps and singing, well that dosen't sound too bad. It was all the shouting and cheering, and prancing around in a conga line, AND THE DANCING ON THE TABLES, that was a complete turn off for us. I recall that after that, on several occasions we simply skipped dessert. The upside of that was we saved a couple of thousand calories.

BnB

Thank you so much.

Your explaination makes good sense to me. I agree. It wouldn't be a "deal breaker" for me, but my husband will simply hate it! I hope they hold it until after dinner. I can skip the dessert if I have to!

Jane

We just got off the Conquest 1 week ago today & I can speak to your question. The competition is really just a way to get people involved & have fun. There is no prize per se just lots of laughing at grown ups making fools of themselves (we were in there with the rest of them, guilty!) my DH didn't participate but the others in our party did.

So I guess bragging rights are what you are "playing" for...so Go White Team Go White Team GO!

Have fun, you'll enjoy the Conquest.

*sigh* they didn't do this on elation in feb, and i was wondering if they'd maybe "ix-nayed" the thing fleet wide. guess not. i welcomed its absence, but then again, i think they have done it on every other CCL cruise i have been on, so i was ready for the break.

i can see how this might be fun for first, second or even third time cruisers, but can also understand why some pax, after having seen this over and over, are ready to do w/o it.

*sigh* they didn't do this on elation in feb, and i was wondering if they'd maybe "ix-nayed" the thing fleet wide. guess not. i welcomed its absence, but then again, i think they have done it on every other CCL cruise i have been on, so i was ready for the break.

i can see how this might be fun for first, second or even third time cruisers, but can also understand why some pax, after having seen this over and over, are ready to do w/o it.

Sorry, truecruiser, was on the Inspiration two weeks ago, and I too was hoping they had done away w/this annoyance, just in the dining room so I could enjoy my meal w/out the announcements, conga lines, cheering, etc, but lucked out. I understand there are people who enjoy this activity, but been there done that many times and could do w/out it just in the dining room.

The game does not take time out of the dining room experience. It is announced after dessert. This is after the end of the meal. The waiter's dance and song is at the end of the meal. The DR meal lasts for 1-1 1/4 hour.

Just because you dress in a tux or evening gown at a dining room table does not mean you can not have fun. That means you have never been to a Mardi Gras ball.

I know when the *game* takes place as I have cruised many many timmes. Whther it is iduring the main course or desert, it is intrusive and out of place in the dining room.

The way I am dressed does not dictate how I have fun. Yelling and screaming in a dining room for a make-believe team is not my idea of fun...in fact, the whole *game* is childish. I would have no problem with the *game* as long as they do not have it in the dining room.

I know when the *game* takes place as I have cruised many many timmes. Whther it is iduring the main course or desert, it is intrusive and out of place in the dining room.

The way I am dressed does not dictate how I have fun. Yelling and screaming in a dining room for a make-believe team is not my idea of fun...in fact, the whole *game* is childish. I would have no problem with the *game* as long as they do not have it in the dining room.

My question could even be a new thread topic. But for those who have been following this thread and REALLY DON'T LIKE THE SHENANIGANS IN THE DINING ROOM, has anyone else besides ME complained to Carnival?

After our last cruise on The Glory, we not only put one of those notes on what they tell you THEY READ and place it in the suggestion box; but we also wrote a letter directly to Carnival Corporate Headquarters.

Perhaps if folks were more vocal and in their objections placed the points mentioned in this discussion, then Corporate might actually decide to do away with this practice in the dining rooms.

They do respond to changing tastes. That is why they are so successful.

BillnBobbi

My question could even be a new thread topic. But for those who have been following this thread and REALLY DON'T LIKE THE SHENANIGANS IN THE DINING ROOM, has anyone else besides ME complained to Carnival?

After our last cruise on The Glory, we not only put one of those notes on what they tell you THEY READ and place it in the suggestion box; but we also wrote a letter directly to Carnival Corporate Headquarters.

Perhaps if folks were more vocal and in their objections placed the points mentioned in this discussion, then Corporate might actually decide to do away with this practice in the dining rooms.

They do respond to changing tastes. That is why they are so successful.

BillnBobbi

well, i didn't complain to them, but i did copy my mini CC review for the comment card (can you say lazy :p ) which included my *glee* that it was absent from that cruise.

Archived