Confused on the liquor issue...

mantonmama

I've seen a million posts on how to smuggle alcohol on board and how Carnival will allow 2 bottles of wine to be brought on, but I've been told it's really cheap to buy bottles on board some cruise ships. Anyone know if this is true and are you actually allowed to consume them in your room (without any extra/hidden fees)? And if this is true, why would anyone smuggle them on in the first place?

bought on board is only opossible if you do a b2b..they dont know you are staying on, lest you tell them..I always bring (last wk, and 5 x b4) rum in a plastic bottle, and 1 bottle of wine, no corkage fee, as I am realllly nice to head waiter, and tip at the end in cash also. I do buy drinks from the bar also..I make my own walk around "fruit punch"

...how could you have read a million posts and missed the fact that all alcohol bottles sold on board are held until the last night and then delivered to your cabin???

THUS my confusion...I've been told conflicting information. Sheesh, if you're not gonna be helpful or at least nice, keep your comments to yourself!

To the rest of you, THANK YOU :) for the help!! I'm glad I checked! My friends must have gotten their cruise-lines confused or something.

How easy is it to carry alcohol on board in carry-on luggage?

(Please don't hit me, I really did look for this Q before posting!)

Your carry on bags go through a scanner like at the airport, you are allowed to carry on 1 bottle of wine or champagne each.

If you call the Carnival Bon Voyage department and ask to speak to to Vivian, you can order liqour by the bottle to have in your stateroom when you get on the ship...the prices are reasonable...about what you would pay in a liquor store...you just have to bring your own mixers if you want anything other than cokes or juice...

hope this helps :)

This is what we did, and how things went for us.

Wrapped one bottle of Bailey's in bubble wrap. Surround by clothes in middle of suitcase being given to porter for delivery to cabin. Bottles not broken when received. Left Bailey's on counter all week. No one said anything. We even had our cabin stewardesses supervisor in the cabin one morning. Nothing said.

Alcohol purchased last day was allowed to be brought back to cabin. Alcohol bought on islands which was turned over when we got on board was delivered on the last morning.

If you call the Carnival Bon Voyage department and ask to speak to to Vivian, you can order liqour by the bottle to have in your stateroom when you get on the ship...the prices are reasonable...about what you would pay in a liquor store...you just have to bring your own mixers if you want anything other than cokes or juice...

does the Bon Voyage Dept. have captain morgan?

just got off the Fanasty today. I had two bottles of water in my carry on

it went through the scanner and they didn't even ask what was in it. Of course you are taking a chance, but they didn't ask in my case.

This time (the 8th) was the first time that we bought liquor on the last sea day morning and was allowed to take back to our room. That was very nice. Save a little money on the mixed drinks that day.

It's actually quite a bit more than you would pay in a liquor store unless you pay $55 for a bottle of Smirnoff! The rates are between $40 and $55, I believe for a bottle delivered to your room.

It's actually quite a bit more than you would pay in a liquor store unless you pay $55 for a bottle of Smirnoff! The rates are between $40 and $55, I believe for a bottle delivered to your room.

Ouch, now I see why all the smuggling occurs! That's too rich for my wallet (with the amount I plan on consuming:p ). It's good to know I can get it "legally" though!

Just got off the Valor yesterday. I had one suitcase that contained: 2 12-packs of beer in cans, 1 12-pack of Coke in cans, 1 12-pack of water in plastic bottles, 1 liter of Tortuga rum in original glass bottle wrapped in a beach towel, and two bottles of wine in glass bottles wrapped in towels. I always get a kick out of the porters, and of course warn them how heavy it is before they lift it. This one said, "You got a lot of water in here, huh?" lol.. If you do this, make sure you use a sturdy suitcase, preferably hard sided and pack it tight, so there is little movement. If there is empty space, fill it with socks, underwear, etc. to limit movement within the suitcase.

I have heard that some people on these boards will buy liquor in ports and turn in a couple of bottles but bring the rest back to their rooms in bags with souvenirs.

We bought alcohol in ports but turned them all in so I can't say first hand whether or not this works.

I have heard that some people on these boards will buy liquor in ports and turn in a couple of bottles but bring the rest back to their rooms in bags with souvenirs.

We bought alcohol in ports but turned them all in so I can't say first hand whether or not this works.

I do that. I always purchase 2 or more bottles from the port we're visiting. When they point you to the table to turn it in (after xray detects it), turn in one bottle. Take the other(s) right on through to your room. They only watch you long enough to be sure you go to the "turn in" table. They don't watch to see how many bottles you hand over.

Worse case if they catch you is you have to turn it in and you lose the booze until last night of cruise.

I do that. I always purchase 2 or more bottles from the port we're visiting. When they point you to the table to turn it in (after xray detects it), turn in one bottle. Take the other(s) right on through to your room. They only watch you long enough to be sure you go to the "turn in" table. They don't watch to see how many bottles you hand over.

Worse case if they catch you is you have to turn it in and you lose the booze until last night of cruise.

Nothing like honesty and scruples. Your parents must be so proud of you.

Actually they are. :D

Bored today Parrot, or is the world simply slapping you around again? :rolleyes:

Bored. Been sitting on this conference call for 2 and a half hours and thought I'd come by and see what the immorals are up to today.

Last year I purchased a bottle of Tequila at the Costa Maya port and placed it in my backpack instead of carrying it seperate. I ran my backpack through the scanners and was never asked to check the bottle so I carried it on to my room...no questions asked...no problemo!

Archived