Beach in Grand Caymen

dz63

Our family of five has booked the Cayman Pirate Excursion on July 11 in Grand Caymen. The excursion is "returns" at 11:00am and our ship does not leave until 4:30pm. We are leaning toward early lunch on the ship and spending 2-3 hours on the beach. What is the most economical way to spend the afternoon on the beach. We do no need beach chairs or umbrellas, etc. A public beach with a washroom and a place to buy sodas would be perfect. Any recommendations from those who have been there?

Thanks in advance! :)

We accidentally discovered Smith Cove on our last cruise that went to Grand Cayman. See the link to a list of beaches and scroll down to see pics of Smith cove:

http://www.turtlenestinn.com/cayman-beaches-B2.htm

We were having a horrible time in port (that was before we discovered cruise critic), but luckily a taxi driver took us to this beach and we ended up having a fantastic time-it was our actual 15th anniversary and I remembered the name because it is a family name. It wasn't crowded, great snorkling and restrooms. No drinks or snackbar, but you could bring your own. The taxi driver arranged to pick us up at a specific time. It was awesome!!!!

The photos were from 2000 and I wonder how much different they look after the 2004 & 2005 hurrican seasons. I heard that there was major damage to many of the beaches but I haven't been able to find current photos. We are looking for a great beach for younger children, safe from big waves that could knock them down. Lounges and umbrellas would be a plus. I worry about uncroweded beaches. When we visited Hawaii they said not to swim at any beaches if there are not people because that could mean the water is too dangerous. Not sure about Grand Cayman, as we haven't been to SMB for about 15 years (but we loved it then).

Most beach areas are fine - south sound took the most visible damage ie. trees down but otherwise no worries. I don't know of any dangerous beaches on the island - the only thing to be aware of are breaks in the off-shore reef where you can get a bit of current but this wouldn't be an issue with any of the beaches you're considering.

Great beach for young children will depend on the direction of the wind - SMB is usually quite calm and Rum Point is likely the most sheltered. Wind is usually out of the east.

The photos were from 2000 and I wonder how much different they look after the 2004 & 2005 hurrican seasons. I heard that there was major damage to many of the beaches but I haven't been able to find current photos. We are looking for a great beach for younger children, safe from big waves that could knock them down. Lounges and umbrellas would be a plus. I worry about uncroweded beaches. When we visited Hawaii they said not to swim at any beaches if there are not people because that could mean the water is too dangerous. Not sure about Grand Cayman, as we haven't been to SMB for about 15 years (but we loved it then).

Archived